Weep Hole Oil Leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, long time no speak. I have corresponded with some of you via the messages, thanks for that!

Well we are getting into wrenching season and I have a couple of things going on. The main one is a problem as of right now. I went out to get my bike out for my morning commute (1984 aspencade 1200) and there was a pool of oil on the floor under the front of the engin :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: . I was so upset that I didn't even bother to bust out the '76 as I was already running late and I figured I'll try and sort it when I got home.

When I got home from work I investigated further to see if I could find the source of the leak. There is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump housing and I discovered that this is the source of the leak. I checked the crank case for any gas odor or coolant and it all looks good. I just have pure, unmolested oil dripping from the weep hole. I am sure this is not the first time this has come up but I knew if anyone knows what it is right of the bat they would be a member of this forum. So, thoughts?

On a side note I am looking forward to another season of wrenching and chatting on the forum. My projects include:
fixing the 1984 oil leak
1. Replacing the 1984 clutch line
2. Finding another small leak that is making my front, non linked brake, not work right. There is oil dripping onto the pads rendering the brake useless. I believe this may all be related to the clutch line
3. And lastly if time and finances allow I am going to need to pull the engine on the 1976 and do at minimum a set of piston rings and probably a head job, why wouldn't you.

Thanks as always boys!

I've never had the issue but read about it many times. Leaking at weep hole means the water pump seal is gone. The solution is to replace the water pump.

I believe there is 2 O-rings on the water pump. One to stop water from getting in motor and other O-ring to stop oil from getting to pump. I maybe wrong. But on one of my motors I been working it was leaking oil at weep hole and I just replace the O-rings because I wasn't dropping $100 or more into motor till I got it running. As not drip any oil since.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158915#p158915:3tpaty94 said:
zman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:36 pm[/url]":3tpaty94]
This thread has pictures of where it is coming from if that helps. page 1 seconds post for pics.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ak#p620995

I cant view the pics because I am not a member on that site. This is on the front of the engine just left of the oil filter right? That is indeed the water pump, correct?

Most likely the seal on the rear bearing of the water pump is bad. Possibly the rear o-ring, also. Either way, the front cover hasta come off, so might as well replace the water pump anyway. :laptop:
My 1100 was leaking engine oil from there, also.

Thanks for the great info guys. Im assuming I need to completely drain the oil and coolant from the bike then or Im gonna get blasted. Oil is steadily leaking from the weep hole.

Just so I am clear, replacing the water pump is not necessarily the fix as it may be a seal around the pump itself? Is that correct? So there are seal kits available and water pumps available and both should be purchased? Pump more so just because I already in there? Just seeking clarification so I know what to purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-84-87-HONDA ... 1d&vxp=mtr

Would this be what I want?

That's a pretty fair deal on a pump and gasket set! And yes, that's what you would need to fix the leak.There is another seal that fits on the OIL pump itself, for the water pump drive shaft coming from the oil pump on the front of the engine. That seal wasn't included in the gasket set I bought when I did mine. The seal on mine dint look very good, but it hasn't leaked a drop since I did the new water pump(knock on wood!). I

Ok so I got all the covers off today and the bearings and seals in the pump were totally shot. No doubt that's both the high pitch intermitenet noise i was hearing as well as the cause for the oil leak. One problem tho, when removing the cover one of the bolts snapped and the threaded portion of the bolt remains in the hole. Luckily for me with my machining background this will not be a problem to fix. However finding the bolt could be an issue. Was wondering if anyone had a parts bike or spares laying around. If u think maybe you do send me a PM and I can give u the specs so we are sure it's the right one are they are different lengths. This one is one of the long lower bolts directly bottom left of the pump that goes i to the block.

:thanks:

Then take the specs, & go to your local machine shop supply & buy a socket bolt grade 8 or better, or you can replace them all.