What do I need from PO when I buy a used bike in Texas?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexDiyTom

Reaction score
This is the first time I have bought a motorcycle in Texas. What do I need from the PO?
The bike is non-running. He has a clear blue title.
DMV site is very confusing.

Since the bike is non-running I just want the title changed to my name.

I think Texas is a non-notary state, but I would still get a notarized bill of sale, signed title, and copy of his drivers license. A Texacan should jump in and set us straight.

A Bill of Sale is always a good idea, though it's not required legally, that documents transaction time, date, vin etc.
It protects both parties.

As stated before, Texas DMV no longer requires a notary seal on titles or title reassignment form's.

So what do they require Tx. DMV? :

Signed and dated original Texas title.
A Texas title reassignment form 130U which is signed, dated, with indicated information filled in. Form can be printed from Tx Dmv website.
Documentation of Texas minimum Liability insurance coverage with insurance company of your choice.

Thats it.

Insurance not a requirement if "Title only", my understanding. There is also the person behind the counter, how do they see the requirements. I've run into that a couple of times. One reason to go to the Office, find a person and if have to return, go to same person again.

Thanks everyone for the good information. DMV site was kind of confusing.
Hopefully I'll see ya'll on the road soon. :yahoo: