What I Did today...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaJim

Reaction score
Pulled the right head off my Aspy to discover one bent and one broken valve, and a scored piston. All brought to us through the courtesy of my well meaning neighbor that installed the new timing belt without aligning the timing marks. What really ices the cake? He's done timing belts before and knows better.

Yeah, I think I got lucky this time, the engine was being turned by the starter, in the shop, so the damage is minimal considering. It's kinda funny, everytime I'd look at it, I saw the finished, running bike, I was already feeling the breeze on my knees. When the engine backfired, and the engine locked, I looked at it and started adding up the $ value of the parts. It looks like an ugly piece of junk right now! It'd do-able, and I'll get it done, actually it's probably best for the old bike, get new gaskets and seals on both sides, what's the old saying? In for a penny in for a pound?

Sounds like you got lucky in the fact that it didn't start and destroy the piston! Still, check it REALLY closely for cracks - if the piston lets go, then it's a true nightmare!

It's a good thing I guess, one I learned not to trust my neighbors work, two, I now know more than I did, and I'm using this opportunity to pull the left head as well just to be on the safe side, lap all the valves, replace all the seals, then I don't have to worry.

My thanks go out to all of you who suffered the "petrifying pucker" on my behalf.

Dude, if I started that the poor guy would have to file for bankruptcy! He's a disabled Vet, was riding his Harley and got T-boned by a drunk in a '64 Galaxie. They put him back together the best they could, his heart is in the right place, but the impact drove his head so far up his ass it was surgically impossible to remove.

who would ever put a timing belt on without making sure the Marks was right ???? there is about Nothing as Important as that . :popcorn:

I guess the bright side, anything goes wrong with the bike, I can always blame the village idiot. Hummm, I wonder if Pawn Stars would loan Chumlee to me? Surely would be a step up in assistants.

I'm pulling the other head tomorrow, just to make sure I've caught any issues. It looks like I've dodged the bullet on this one. A buddy is replacing the two damaged exhaust valves, I'm getting new valve guide seals, and two new head gaskets. This also gave me an opportunity to change the o rings in my water pipes, one or two or several things I won't have to worry about later.

You know, maybe I need to start a "Rent and Idiot" program, it will force all you armchair mechanics to get busy and protect your bike.

Yeah, that's a big 10-4 I've done belts before, so no problem there, I'll try to make sure my neighbor is chasing imaginary butterflies and hope he stumbles into something highly illegal.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113569#p113569:2dei79wn said:
PappaJim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am[/url]":2dei79wn]
Yeah, that's a big 10-4 I've done belts before, so no problem there, I'll try to make sure my neighbor is chasing imaginary butterflies and hope he stumbles into something highly illegal.

:whistling:

Latest posts