What RPM you ride around town or cruising?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys:

I'm still getting to know the behavior of the Enterprise in terms of RPM refers. I always tried to maintain 2,000 - 2,700 to "save gas" , but noticed that sometimes the engine becomes stalling. I feel like her best performance is at 3,000 and above.

Looking in other forum I found this:
"When selling Hondas thru the mid 80s we had complaints about Gold Wing mileage. Turns out these guys were lugging around far too low. Seems the people who know, Honda, told us to tell them to avoid lugging down. With the Wings the best rpm for best mileage in general was 3000-4000 rpm regardless of gear. Below that under a load is lugging the engine in an area in which it wasn't designed to run efficiently. In other words you won't save gas running lower than that and if actually under a load you will do worse."

Any thoughts?

The only time mine sees anything below 3000 rpms is when sitting at a light, or when I first start it. :smilie_happy:
Down the road it's running at 4000 to 5000 all the time....I'm always in a hurry to get nowhere. :eek:k:

AApple":3b59x6bx said:
The only time mine sees anything below 3000 rpms is when sitting at a light, or when I first start it. :smilie_happy:
Down the road it's running at 4000 to 5000 all the time....I'm always in a hurry to get nowhere. :eek:k:
:smilie_happy: Me too. :moped:

Jungo":al7jg308 said:
Guys:

I'm still getting to know the behavior of the Enterprise in terms of RPM refers. I always tried to maintain 2,000 - 2,700 to "save gas" , but noticed that sometimes the engine becomes stalling. I feel like her best performance is at 3,000 and above.

Any thoughts?

I don't watch the Gold-wing I just keep it where its happy. My scooter is a different story, has to be above 3.5G all the time to keep oil flowing to the high head. People that lug the V65's around inevitably run into cam shaft trouble. Crack the throttle at 5K and you need to be paying attention (she red lines at 10).

Don't know what it would do on Dilitheum crystals

1060dsl":3kkmo695 said:
Don't know what it would do on Dilitheum crystals

:smilie_happy: Oh buddy you make me laugh! :smilie_happy:

Guys, thanks for all your comments (even the funny ones :mrgreen: ).

Blessings on the new year.

I have no idea... my tach cable broke last year (2011) and I just never bothered replacing it yet. Spending too much money on the gas to keep it running and me smiling. I just ride around where the engine sounds happy, happy, happy.

it depends on what yr ...the tallest geared 1100 for the hiway is the 83 yr turns about 3600-3700 at 70mph,,,and 82 turns about 4200 rpm at 70 mph and 80-81 turn uppers 4800 rpm at 70 mph ...these are close numbers but not perfect ...80-81 are like street bike gearing and a little busy at hiway speed ...82 has great all around gearing ...83 is a tour ing geared bike but has nice lower gears too ....my favorite is 83 first 82 next 80-81 last but its not bad though ...they all are good

ekvh":9wu6g7z0 said:
Probably more important to keep rpms at or above 3k on the early cams. My 77 seems to be able to handle 2200 with iridiums and accel coils.

Sorry I was talking about my V65 Sabre - the Goldwing is fine at 2200

I can and do ride around at 2K RPM, but not all the time. Speed limit in-town here is 35 MPH.
I've done a lot of modifying though. Originally it was a Lazy Dog at those RPM's.
With the way I'm set-up now, It don't really start breathing until the advance is fully kicked in, but 2K is quiet and unobtrusive 'til I get some open-road.

I cruise at 4K-something, depends. Limit out here is 75 MPH.

Thanks for all comments. After read them and make some test @ 3,000 I saw that I needed to get used to the roar of the engine. Maintaining between 2,800 and 3,100 is perfect for my ride style. ( I'm a slow rider - top speed 60 mph) The engine performs beautifully and noticed a little improvement on gas consumption.

Today's plan, prepare the Enterprise for my first long trip. Heading to Florida's east coast. (120 mi round trip)

Blessing on the New Year. :clapping:

Jungo":3tepxoz3 said:
Thanks for all comments. After read them and make some test @ 3,000 I saw that I needed to get used to the roar of the engine. Maintaining between 2,800 and 3,100 is perfect for my ride style. ( I'm a slow rider - top speed 60 mph) The engine performs beautifully and noticed a little improvement on gas consumption.

Today's plan, prepare the Enterprise for my first long trip. Heading to Florida's east coast. (120 mi round trip)

Blessing on the New Year. :clapping:
3100 RPM at 60 MPH should provide a nice quiet ride and good MPG. FYI, 56 MPH is the sweet spot for continuous riding and the highest MPG on my '82. I can get up to 48 MPG at that speed! (Not that I ride at that speed very often. My bike likes 75 MPH)

Also, take note that if you are at 3100 RPM, do not drop your throttle for sudden acceleration, you can still lug the engine pretty good if you are in 5th gear at 3100 RPM. Drop to 4th first!

mcgovern61":pivw7zwr said:
3100 RPM at 60 MPH should provide a nice quiet ride and good MPG. FYI, 56 MPH is the sweet spot for continuous riding and the highest MPG on my '82. I can get up to 48 MPG at that speed! (Not that I ride at that speed very often. My bike likes 75 MPH)

Also, take note that if you are at 3100 RPM, do not drop your throttle for sudden acceleration, you can still lug the engine pretty good if you are in 5th gear at 3100 RPM. Drop to 4th first!

Thanks for the advise brother. :idea: