What years are compatible my 89 GL1500 engine?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My transmission is going and I'm not going to try and rebuild it because I don't have a garage or the tools to work on a transmission. I did resurface my block on my 80 GL1100 and pulled it out of the frame before I found out that the machine shop here in my town couldn't resurface the block without splitting the case. And I wasn't going to do that. So I milled the block by hand. But that's a whole other story.

My main question is what years are compatible my 1989 GL1500?

I got on eBay and found a 1991 complete engine (just minus the carbs $500 and they said $7.75 shipping but I need to check on that), a 1990 (Honda Goldwing GL 1500 SE Engine Motor GUARANTEED) minus the carbs and manifold for $648 Free shipping and a 1993 that reads (Engine Motor Run&Drive GUARANTEE) but it has no heads and no timing belts or gears and minus the carbs and manifold for $349.95 and $199.99 shipping. Oh and after going back and looking I see that none of them come with a starter or the alternator.

So I guess what years will fit my frame?
:thanks:

there are improvements in 1500 motors from year to year but all can be swapped so you should have no problem using a different year motor. I think the starter for an '88/ '89, SE, or aspencade differs from an interstate or an '88/ '89 w/o reverse

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178099#p178099:342k30n0 said:
detdrbuzzard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:54 am[/url]":342k30n0]
there are improvements in 1500 motors from year to year but all can be swapped so you should have no problem using a different year motor. I think the starter for an '88/ '89, SE, or aspencade differs from an interstate or an '88/ '89 w/o reverse

So I should be able to pull my starter & use it in say like a 90 & the reverse will work?
Also TNX for the reply & info.
Jim