Where Can You Buy Vintage Paint Colors

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenCnNC

Reaction score
I am wanting to repaint my 1981 GL1100I and I am wanting to use an original color. Does anyone know where vintage paint colors can be purchaced?

I just had to duplicate the lower section on the trunk of my 95 1500 with a pearl green that I was unable to match even close with off the shelf paint. A friend suggested a company called Color Rite. After I looked up the paint number I called them and they duplicated it exactly and the trunk top and bottom match absolutely perfect.
Warning though, One normal size spray can was $35.00 plus hazmat shipping, about $50 overall for a can of spray paint. It is not regular paint though. It is the actual acrylic enamel like body shops use and the paint they use can be ridiculously expensive. $5-900 a gallon is not uncommon, especially the reds.

I asked at local body shop,they referred me to a parts store they order small amounts from.Apparently these days no one wants a bazilion different colors sitting around,so small amounts are mixed from base and colorant(s) in-house,and that can fill a rattle-can,but as said above,it's a bit pricey,if I recall appx $25per spray can carryout.I was doing a pickup tailgate....OEM GM paint would have cost me over $150qt (about double amt I needed.They had a big chart book with all the codes.

Any local automotive paint supply place can match any color you need, either with a sample, or by the paint code number. They can mix it by the gallon, or put it in a spray can. The spray cans are expensive, considering the amount of paint you get, but they have to add in the price of the cans, and the propellant...
I've gotten as little as a pint of color mixed. When I was painting my 750A years ago, I got a quart to do the whole thing(full dresser), and my helmet...and had plenty left over.

If you want the original "Wineberry" color, good luck trying to get it. I do however have the formula for PPG paints to have it mixed. Must warn you, it is VERY expensive, about $300 per quart, but it is an exact match. You will need one quart of primer and you will need to buy one quart of the 1st color (base coat) and one quart of the 2nd color (the candy). Apply one coat of the base and then 2-3 coats of the clear to acheive the color. Then you will still need to apply at least two coats of clear top coat.

Here it is:

Code Color Weight (Accumulative)

1st Color (Base Coat)

DMD1683 Black 68.7
DMD650 Course Aluminum 108.7
DMD1681 Medium Aluminum 144.8
DMD613 Blue 152.9
DMD624 Violet 157.9
DMD641 Yellow 161.0
DMD646 Weak White 162.2
DMX219 Black 163.4
DBX1689 Clear 251.4

2nd Color (Candy)

DMD649 Clear 108.2
DMX214 Red 133.4
DMX212 Red 140.3
DBX1689 Clear 248.1

StevenCnNC":3vca5n3n said:
I am wanting to repaint my 1981 GL1100I and I am wanting to use an original color. Does anyone know where vintage paint colors can be purchaced?

Colorite.com//This is the company that supplies all of the paint for all of the rice grinders we love so dearly. They have special kits with everything you need to paint your ride, even the sandpaper, instructions, and tac rag. Cost is 115.00 for a kit but have smaller and larger quanties. Seems very reasonable to me.