Where to find conversion kits/DIY how-to?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJA

Reaction score
Good afternoon all! The stator died on my '82 Aspencade, and I've heard mostly good things about converting to an alternator instead of doing a downright replacement of the stator. I've read all the threads on this forum, but am still a bit at a loss... I could be missing something (entirely likely), but I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for. I keep seeing people mention an alternator kit for my '82 Aspencade, but where can I find it? What does it include, what extras do I need to get and how do I install it?

As for my mechanical skills, I'm pretty handy on car engines, motorcycles, not so much... thankfully, my neighbor next door loves this stuff, and is more than capable of working on bikes of all makes (and thankfully willing to help me for some beers and steak!). I'd like to do as little fabricating as possible, but if it needs to be done, I have some help I can get with it.

I appreciate any answers and advice you guys can give me... I see a few of you are in the midst of doing them yourselves, and when I get down to doing mine, I would be more than happy to post pics, updates and such. I'm hoping to have my 'wing up and ready for a big group ride this summer down in North Carolina!

Kind regards, Ryan

Ah, and yes, I did see the conversion kit from Dupli-Tech available for the 'wings, but it says it is for the 1200 models, but if anyone has had any luck with that kit, please let me know also!

EDIT: I'm looking for an alternator that will put out enough power to run all stock lights, as well as a few add-ons, the stereo, charge the cell phone through a 5V USB port plugin from the lighter socket, and a little extra "wiggle room", just in case I add something more.

We don't have a kit available although countryboy here might be making one (I think).

At this stage we have to fabricate our own brackets.
I'm not sure the status of Don's kit if it will work on an 1100.
His kit (afaik) is designed for a 1200 which has more space to house the alternator and more room between the radiator and front engine covers.

We are working on a couple sources for the crankshaft pulley.
The brackets if your handy aren't all that hard to make. There are a few methods of mounting the alternator and if your handy maybe with help from the neighbor........

The mini Denso alternator is the one of choice, typically 45 amp rated. Can also get them 60 amp but 45 is enough to power what you want.

NO there is NO kit for the 1100,.......BUT WAIT,.........There's a gentleman who has put his own version of a P-Boy on an 82 GL-1100 over at the Steve Saunders,...RoadRougue. Pretty much a step by step and looks easy for the DIY!!! :Egyptian: I'm using his ideas along with a Ultra-mini alternator and a pulley from Don P,( cann't spell his last name) :laptop: I bump the posts up to the top on their Tech board. And whats so nice about his, you can still use your side panels :rocks: !!! Should be an easy job & Hope this helps!!!!!! Later :hi: Bob

Thanks for the replies, guys! Thankfully, I got my car up and running earlier today (had to wait on a new crankshaft pulley to arrive.. I love working on Subarus, they are the easiest blocks I've ever had my hands on!), which frees up my time to work on the bike and get a LOT of work done to it. This is going to be a great summer!

I realize I am in the very small minority here but if the stator fails on my 83, I am going to just replace the original stator. Parts discounter sells a supposedly updated stator for $89.95 (shipping included) and the stator cover gasket is $18. Removing the engine sounds like a daunting task but is really not that big of a deal. The service manual covers the procedure in depth and with good detail. The Honda dealer that I use in IL, that will still work on the older wings, will do it in one day, although it's costly to have it done. Finding a transmission jack with 4 castering wheels is a must have to slide the engine out just enough to get the stator cover off. I think going this route requires far less time and expense than the auto alternator conversion and I'm not going to go through the time and expense to replace an item that almost never fails more than once in the life of the bike. Also, I talked to a guy in Yuma the other day that once had the poor boy conversion (he has since sold it and he rides an 1800 now) that claims it was very noisy and he could never get used to it.
There is also the "Rick's" stator option but Dan commented once that they do not have a good record.

Here is the description of the Parts Discounter stator,

"Niche-1340 is a high quality Heavy Duty replacement stator for your Honda. Niche-1340 replaces your failed unit and provides an 20 percent more power then your factory honda stator with more reliability at lower rpms. Niche-1340 is a plug and play replacement stator, ready to bolt on and plug into your harness, it also includes the factory metal case grommet. As with all our stators we provide installation support after you purchase upon request, quality and performance is guaranteed!"

This is just my opinion and for those that go the alternator conversion route, best of luck to you.

Thanks for the heads-up! Yeah, I'm heading the conversion route... the higher output is what won me over, as well as how easy it is to maintain and troubleshoot if something goes bad, but as for the "item that never fails" thing, from what I understand, the early-mid 80's Goldwings have had nothing but electrical issues. Along with the conversion, I'm pretty much redoing the entire electrical system, and that idea was backed up when I took apart the fairing to find an absolute rats nest of wires that led to nothing, way too much duct tape and when they were spliced, they were done improperly.

Oh, just wait till I post the pics in my project thread of all the crap I pulled out! YIKES!

Piper15T":k0ltt59g said:
I realize I am in the very small minority here but if the stator fails on my 83, I am going to just replace the original stator. Parts discounter sells a supposedly updated stator for $89.95 (shipping included) and the stator cover gasket is $18. Removing the engine sounds like a daunting task but is really not that big of a deal. The service manual covers the procedure in depth and with good detail. The Honda dealer that I use in IL, that will still work on the older wings, will do it in one day, although it's costly to have it done. Finding a transmission jack with 4 castering wheels is a must have to slide the engine out just enough to get the stator cover off. I think going this route requires far less time and expense than the auto alternator conversion and I'm not going to go through the time and expense to replace an item that almost never fails more than once in the life of the bike. Also, I talked to a guy in Yuma the other day that once had the poor boy conversion (he has since sold it and he rides an 1800 now) that claims it was very noisy and he could never get used to it.
There is also the "Rick's" stator option but Dan commented once that they do not have a good record.

"Niche-1340 is a high quality Heavy Duty replacement stator for your Honda. Niche-1340 replaces your failed unit and provides an 20 percent more power then your factory honda stator with more reliability at lower rpms. Niche-1340 is a plug and play replacement stator, ready to bolt on and plug into your harness, it also includes the factory metal case grommet. As with all our stators we provide installation support after you purchase upon request, quality and performance is guaranteed!"

This is just my opinion and for those that go the alternator conversion route, best of luck to you.
This reminds me of the debates of why some (like Me) have a single barrel carb conversion :hihihi: !! It's for some being able to run more lights so we don't get run over by a Mac truck!! :yes: And if out for a trip in an unknown land, just to be able to change it out :yes: !! But just for me; it's therapy of doing things I normally wouldn't :yes: :yes: and just :yes: :smilie_happy: because I want to/can!! :thank_you: :thank_you: :hi: Later :hi: :hi: Bob

Piper15T":10iglizh said:

WHERE DO YOU GET IT FROM, I GOOGLED NICHE-1340 WITH NOTHING FOUND?

If you go to https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/vie ... 5#p1535235 and drop down to post #38 you will find some pics on Road Rogue's setup. and as for an alt, there are dozens of posts on that but the one I bought is a racing model that is only 4" in diameter & has only 2 ears so you don't have to cut one off. here is a link.
https://www.rareelectrical.com/p-1733-ne ... -8162.aspx
You should PM both RoadRogue & Littlebeaver as they are installing on an 1100. Good luck on you project. Angela :wave: :wave:

Piper 15T
Thank you I've been thinking and planing on going to Alternator on my 82 Aspencade .There was, just not to long ago had an heavy duty Stator installed. You Just talked me out of it, I think

Possum51":2atry7dm said:
I've found this for the GL1200, almost $600 tho, https://www.dupli-tech.com/goldwing-alte ... ertor.html

I haven't ordered it, was just thinking about it.
That is an interesting setup but after considering other ways I decided I didn't want a belt in the front cover that could break and get caught up in the timing belts.
Crankshaft driven with a pulley out the front cover is safer me thinks.

Latest posts