why the bog on acceleration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this gets to be a can of worms quickly with stock carbs ..id say there is air leaking from one of a 100 sources on stock carbs and fuel passages being compromised ...doing the running problems ....glad i dumped honda idea of fuel delivery

It is my guess that carb adjustment isn't going to fix the problem, nor will modifying the jets. If you are starving for fuel the first place I would look is the fuel pump, and then the float levels next. Since I haven't encountered that problem these are just guesses. The other thing I would look at is timing and make sure your vacuum advance is working properly. Also look for possible air leaks.

If you still have problem I say you slides pistons on top of all four carbs are sticking. I had same problem. But I unbolted the rubber tubes to the heads. That way you can get to the tops of each carb remove two screws lift cover off. Then the slides come out. More then likely you will feel it binding. but the thing is most of the time you need to look into the top of carb and at the bottom will have a ridge. clean that up on all four and clean slide up and tops the put back. I would do one at a time. the slides are matched to the tops. Sound hard but is very easy. after doing mine runs awesome. If by any chance dirt gets past the air filter it can make the slides stick.
By remove the rubber tube to the head you can stick a small screw driver into the carb and lift the slide that way. sometimes that can free it up. Good luck

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178307#p178307:1xt9uyh3 said:
joedrum » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am[/url]":1xt9uyh3]
this gets to be a can of worms quickly with stock carbs ..id say there is air leaking from one of a 100 sources on stock carbs and fuel passages being compromised ...doing the running problems ....glad i dumped honda idea of fuel delivery

Me too!! :moped:

I think I have the same problem. I'm thinking mine is the slide. I did the gas cap, fuel filter and synch. Def noticed a difference when I replaced the fuel filter but I need to do the slide.

When I put the synch on it #1 pulls then drops off completely on the carbtune I used to synch them - like its getting stuck.

Hey rbrill, I can't quite picture what you mean by removing the rubber tube to the head. Do you mean remove the whole intake runner with the black rubber end that goes to the head? Don't you still have to move the carb out of the way of the frame tube - specifically to get at #1 cv slide? Or not? I've pulled the carbs a bunch I just can't picture that cause I always take them completely out. #1 cap needs to come off in order to get the carbs out if I recall. I think I take them all off and the runners too. Not my most favorite job.

The pilot circuit is just for idle. The needle jets take over from there and the slides have to lift to get good acceleration. Make sure they are very clean and free moving.

The gas cap vent should not allow any vacuum in the tank. There should never be a whoosh. I think it could reduce acceleration, but on my bike it just made it die.

The vacuum advance retards as far as it can go when throttle is applied, so it does not affect acceleration.

The centrifugal advance might be stuck in the fully retarded position, that would reduce acceleration. You need a timing light to check that. I would make marks on the front pulley to match the ones on the flyweight under the plug and put the plug back in to stop oil before running, otherwise it makes a real big mess.

Latest posts