Wing shopping....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scdmarx":2qgmfrye said:
"NEVER" say "NEVER"! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
1439786038_1b467ca20c_o.jpg

The words of the infamous "Lou Costello", Umma baaaaaaaad boy! :blush:

Ahem...Let me explain:

I had once heard somewhere that the definition of stupidity is practicing the same proceedure over and over and each time expecting different results. I had pretty much given up on "wing shopping". I grew weary responding to advertised "cream puffs" only to show up and look at something that had been beat to death and then burried for years. So I started to focus on getting beer for me and "things" for Agnus.
I get home from work one day and before I get my shoes off, I'm cornered by my wife and son. Seems they'd found another genuine, low mileage, "cream puff" on ebay. Awe, geeze! Here we go again. Raising dead horses. For the next 3 days, every negative scenerio I could conjure up was thrown back in my face with optimism. I learned doom and gloom at an early age, so I don't know where the boy gets this? I know his mom was partially behind this. Anyways, I fired up the snipe program and place my highest bid.

Here are some photos from the auction listing.
bqkizwwkkgrhqihceum0fvu.jpg
bqkje3bmkkgrhqyheqeuitr.jpg
bqklyfqbmkkgrhqqhdeuyew.jpg

I met the reserve and won the bid by $150. = $2500 total, click here to pay now.
The auction stated a deposit is required within 48 hours, and full payment within 7 days. I call the man to say howdy, it's me. The man wants his deposit. Prefers wire transfer. (HAHAHA, ya that's gonna happen) I explain that I'm local and I can bring cash. Now I have his attention. By local, I'm talk'n 4 hour drive. I go on to explain that I have to have my wife drive me down there and I'll have to ride the bike home, but it's gonna start raining for the next 3 days. He says that's cool, he'll wait for the cash. So come Friday me, wife, and 3 kids pile into the minivan and head for L.A. traffic. 4 hours later I call to tell him I'm parked out front of his house.
Of course, as I suspected, the ebay pictures look a lot better than the actual item being auctioned. But it's not so bad. I'm still not turned off. Now he starts in with "this is wrong with it and this little thing over here doesn't work right" yada, yada, yada. But all the stuff he's telling me is not that bad, I don't think. There is some chrome engine parts that are chipping and flaking, but that still doesn't make it a bad motorcycle. I take it around the block. All I can say is "WOW!" What a difference between this and Agnus! If you've ever hopped off a Welch pony and mounted and Arabian thoroghbred, got past the trot and into a smooth canter, then you know what I'm trying to describe. Like getting out of an old Corolla and into a new Towncar. I really wanted an 83 because I'd heard things about the extra room and the highway gearing, but I never knew it could be like this. This bike is smooth! I should have listened to those yuppies 30 years ago when I was creating shovelheads in hardtail frames with those pogo sticks we called springers.
I give the man money and he signs the title, finds the registration, and it takes me 5 hours (L.A. traffic) to ride 240 miles home. He wasn't the original owner, and I need to mess with it some to make it right, but we brung home a keeper.

Here's he is at his new home.
interstate003.jpg
crw0001.jpg
crw0002.jpg
crw0004.jpg

crw0005.jpg
interstate008.jpg
interstate007.jpg
interstate005.jpg
interstate010.jpg

And finally, here's the happy couple together in the honeymoon suite.
crw0006.jpg
crw0010.jpg

just dam nice bike scdmarx ,idont think it could be any better ,so you realy like the grearing difference , seems like you just had to be broutht to the point of putting up the porto garage before you could bring home your new 83 and have aplace to put it ,funny how things work

I think you did well, and what a beautiful bike you have now.
You have a bike with some imperfections, but if you bought it new (25,000.00) each of the imperfections would have broken your heart and the payments go on. You'll become best of friends and you correct the ones that bother you enough to repair.
If the guy could have fixed the items himself her would have either kept her of made the reserve a lot more...
Congratulations, she is lovely... :music: :salute: :music:

Looks like it has every chrome piece available including a ride off center stand! Don't see those very often.

It looks like the prior owners cared for her well judging by the polished forks. That's a lot of work.

Congrats Ron, I think ya done good.

I have one of those windshields, your going to like the protection they give on cold mornings. If you raised it up a little you would see that it is also Markland.

Nice work on this one Ron! You will enjoy it! I only have an '83 engine in my '82 and it made all of the difference in the world in smoothness!

Very nice find,buy the kid a pizza.

Alot of chrome for sure,and some nice rare pieces like I shop EBAY for,I really like the front guard,and bag and trunk racks.Never seem them before like that.

Nice find at a decent price for your state. I'd check that bottom rear lightbar though, looks off kilter, lower on the right side then the left slightly. I'd kill for that rid-off stand, almost impossible to find them in that shape.

Man, looking at those pics again there's sure a lot of add on chrome!

I like chrome but I'd loose the chrome over the light lenses, especially the brake light. I don't like anything reducing light output and visibility even just a tiny amount.

Looks nice, one day I'll see it in person.

Truth be told, I'd take a nice polished aluminum job over chrome any day.

There sure is a lot of light back there. But only one brake light. I'll have to see what I can do about that. Agnus has 5 tail/brake lights. Makes me feel alot better.

Did you notice both tags expire in the same month? That'll be fun!

scdmarx":3kaxebhk said:
There sure is a lot of light back there. But only one brake light. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Convert all those running lights to dual filament, that would be something to see!

That is a sweeeeeet looking ride!!! Yeah, maybe it's got some pitting here and there on the chrome, but...daaaaang....it's SHARP!!!(and besides...chrome won't get ya home!)
Me likes! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :music: :yahoo:

Latest posts