'Winging it from Tennessee

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack62

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that, whenever things span long time periods, older is better.
I live in a 50-year-old house that has original, black-iron, outer doors and original window hardware (even original windows, in most cases).
When I returned to motorcycling last winter, I bought a 28yo Honda: an '82 900C Custom. Recently, I've added an '83 Goldwing Interstate, fully dressed:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tsousley62/1982HondaCB900CCustom#
https://picasaweb.google.com/tsousley62/1983HondaGL1100iGoldwing#
Both are, of course, original. And serviceable.
Although I'm an old farm boy willing to take anything apart to fix rather than pay for repair, I'm NOT the natural mechanic either of my brothers is. Accordingly, I've bought bikes that need a minimum of work beyond routine maintenance, which I've assayed as soon as practiceable follwing purchase. When hours spent working on the bike(s) even approach time spent riding them, I'll get a newer motorcycle.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to comparing notes with those of you here who also ride a Goldwing 1100, and hope to contribute in any way possible.
Good forum.

Welcome to the CGW forums, oldhack62!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

sounds like what we do here ,welcome from southern indiana, im an old fram boy for sure and ive worked on anything that broke , so i learned somthing better ...how not to break it. the 1100 is well built bike that needs to be riddin a lot so it can remember what its suppose to do...burn up the hyway

Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:

One thing that I have learned is that these bikes are fairly easy to work on even if you are not a "mechanic" by trade. I have stripped an '82 to the frame and my then 10 & 16 year old daughters helped swap engines and all kinds of other stuff. They definately were not mechanics, but had no trouble learning on the fly!

The only lesson I give them is that "a person assembled this bike by hand one nut and bolt at a time, there is no reason we can't do it too!"

Thanks, all. I've put 500+ miles on the Interstate over the past nine days -- which has been my most active spell all spring (the riding season starts in mid-February here, though it never really ends, what with occasional temperate days in any month). I'd be lying if I said I feel as competent and comfortable 'driving' it as I was my previous bike, but I can understand already how the Goldwing line got its reputation as the ultimate touring machines. I don't think I'd ever heard the engine fully before while riding because of wind noise, for example -- now I hear every rattle and ping :lol: !
Anyhow, I finally feel like I can travel by roadway while leaving the car at home, which I've never yet done. I'm looking forward to my first cycling vacation.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Tennessean! I got into motorcycling almost 6 years ago (at age 50) and love it alot. In that period of time I have aquired 4 bikes. My Goldwing came to live with me last year after being banished outdoors under a tarp by her former owner for 8 years. While I enjoy all my bikes and try to ride each of them at least once every 2 weeks or so, my Goldwing gets the most miles. This is the bike that I commute to work on 50 miles a day at least twice a week. I can tell you that this bike really loves the highway. While I did almost all the work myself to get her roadworthy again after her long nap, she is quite reliable and has not left me sitting on the side of the road yet. I really love the ride vs. work ratio that Hondas have. If you have any questions, I'm sure you will find that there is a mountain of collective knowlege here that you can take advantage of.

Take it easy,

Steve

Steve.. I bought my 1100 for touring and two up riding with my wife as my 84 magna was a lil bit cramped.. well I have ridden my goldwing to work and everywhere else .. so I used my 84 magna as a trade on my cage.. the wing was not too bulky for riding everyday and got down to one bike..