Would it be worth anything?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
A week or so ago, someone advertised a "goldwing" on one of the buy sale trade shows here on the radio. Said they wanted $250 for it. I called the guy and asked him what it was, and he said he had no idea what year it was, and said that it had been sitting outside for quite awhile. I called him a week later and asked him if he still had it, and he said he had it on the truck and was about to take it to a salvage yard down the road. He then told me that it was a 79 goldwing. I told him I wasn't interested in it, that I was looking for mufflers for an 83. I could have probably bought it for scrap price at that point, but just didn't need it.
Question is, what would be on one that had sat outside for a long time that would be worth getting. I know where it went, and could probably still get it. Just thinking that if there are any worthy items on it that someone may need sometime, I could probably still get it.
Randy

That's a tough one. :headscratch:

To me worth all depends on how much a part is needed.

I would think the carb set is probably worth about $100 easy since many get corroded so bad they're unuseable.
Just because it was sitting outside for a long time doesnt mean the engine isnt good also. Many yard finds have been brought back to life and running strong.
It's all hard to tell without seeing it.

Might be worth taking a ride Saturday and having a look. Hate to see something go to waste that still has some useable life to it.
Let's see, if I got that one, then a 1200 and an 1800 I'd have the set!!

Ryan, A GL1000 has a kick starter. You could pull the plugs and kick it over to see if the engine is free. If it is, the bike is worth $500 on ebay!

I'd say if ya had room for it. there's bound to be enough parts on it to be worth that...depending on condition. Rims, forks, diff, and stuff like the heads, even if the engine is trashed. 'Course, how much of the parts from a '79 would fit your year?
Decisions, decisions... :headscratch:

theres a lot of possibilities in the 79 motor for your 1100 if you have the room and could get it for salvage id get it . my bike is a 79 with an 83 swingarm,final drive,front forks and wheels. because of gearing difference between motor and transmission the 79 motor and 83 final drive lowers the rpm at any given speed. the difference in my bike was like getting a new bike. seems like a perfect balance between motor load and gearing. the heads from the 1000 opens up the possibilty of switching to 1000 ignition on your 1100 motor if you need to. worth looking at joedrum

Well, this is all moot now. I went there this morning to take a look, and all that was left is the seat, or what was left of that. The crusher beat me to the rest. If the parts yard knew anything about motorcycles at all, and still elected to crush it, must not have been much there. And, if the rest of it looked like the seat, it would have probably been a challenge. Maybe next time.

Me too.
Probably wouldn't have had to talk very hard to the missus to get it either.

But then I think it is kinda fun to get them running again.

Latest posts