• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Rear brake caliper for 83 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im lookin for a rear one as well, Mine may be different cause i own a 82-I
There hasnt been one on ebay in awhile :fiddle:

You might be better off trying to rebuild yours

I agree, better to rebuild yours because chances are good a used one will need rebuilding anyway.
I've never seen anyone offering rebuilts.

plskthompson1 hopefully will be doing a tutorial soon.

I don't mind rebuilding it, but I have to free tes stuck pistons first - I soaked it all weekend, didn't seem to help - any tips on freeing the pistons up? :cool:

PB Blaster works good. It's a penetrant lubricant for rusted parts like WD-40 but works better.

You may need air pressure to pop them out or pump in grease thru a zerk fitting in the bleeder hole.

remove the bleeder valve.. insert some wires into the hole and if the wire folds mark it and see how far you got into the caliper.. then spray PB Blaster into the hole put the bleeder back in and rotate the caliper in all directions .. let sit and repeat the rotation. Then remove the bleeder and with a RUBBER mallet lightly tap the piston.. if it starts to move you have it freed up..

Joep":18yt9idw said:
remove the bleeder valve.. insert some wires into the hole and if the wire folds mark it and see how far you got into the caliper.. then spray PB Blaster into the hole put the bleeder back in and rotate the caliper in all directions .. let sit and repeat the rotation. Then remove the bleeder and with a RUBBER mallet lightly tap the piston.. if it starts to move you have it freed up..

I would suggest also spraying the gap around the outside of both pistons with PB Blaster as there is more space to corrode on the outside portion of the pistons and they are exposed to the weather. :good:

remove bleeder valve , take caliper to harware, find a greese zerk that will almost fit the bleeder valve threads swew it in till it snugs up good you dont want to mess up the threads, hook a greese gum to it and pump till one of the pistons starts to move you dont want it to come all the way out , clamp that piston some how c clamp wood clamp what ever and pump some more till the other piston frees , pump it out , take out the other piston thats aqlready loose , if that dont work then i guess its trashed

Im lookin to get another rear brake caliper for my 82 Interstate
but the only one i see for sale is for an 83, Arnt all the duel piston calipers the same for the 1100's?

heres a pic
guess i'll dig the old one out of the garge tomorrow to compare to the picture

Attachments

• 83 rear brake caliper.jpg
    83 rear brake caliper.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 105
i am not sure how frozen it is but you could try putting it back on the bike and use the master to push the piston out. Be sure to put something in between so the piston doesn't come out all the way. You could also try using air pressure as well. I have not seen too many i have not be able to take apart one way or the other. But i will also say i am very new to bikes but have more then 30yrs messing around with cars. By the way nice place.

You can pump the piston out with a grease gun.

It'll snap on to the bleeder well enough.

Make sure the bleeder is cracked open.

Messsyy but effective.

If you have aworking MC its neater to use the system to pump the piston out.

Gord :grin: