Yard work = fight or flight

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was minding my own business :whistling: , working in the yard, :whip: and this is the thanks I get. Sudden heart stoppage, :shock: sweated profusely, ran like hell, :beg: to get the garden hoe.
IMG01433-20120920-1225.jpg
:heat: I won. One less ground rattler.

Reckon Mr. Rattler didn't enjoy your Hoe-Down, huh? :cool:

Your post gave me the same symptoms, as I remembered my own similar experience of 20 years ago. I was cutting downfall trees and branches in our woods in North Carolina (left from hurricane Hugo.) My son was with me. In between cuts he yells, "Dad, turn around, snake!" Fortunately I was NOT wearing muffs, or I'd never have heard him. I turn around and see a 4' copperhead bee-lining for me and about 3' away. Revved up the chainsaw and dropped it onto his neck, which cut him good, but also flipped him into my shins! Well, don't tell me white men can't jump! In that moment, Michael Jordan had nothing on me!

We stopped cutting trees for that day, as there was other clean-up to take care of! :whistling:

Oh shucks....that ain't nuttin to git skeerd of, yeeesh! :Doh2:

Now...this here...THIS am sumptin to be askeerd of!! :shock:
SHk2g.jpg

15 footer :ahem:

Pointed nose, poisonous snake. Either way he a dead snake now. That's what he gets for almost making me pee. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I keep the king snakes and black snakes unless they mess with my bantam chickens, then they gets the hatchet too. Holy crap apple, is that a snake or a fire hose?

backlander":1ug5j2rj said:
Holy crap apple, is that a snake or a fire hose?

:ahem: Heck...thass jess a BABY.... :smilie_happy:
Here in certain areas of Texas, they be some rattly snakes that are way bigger than that one.
C'mon down, and we'll go to Sweetwater, for the annual Rattlesnake round-up, and have some real fun! I grew up around these things, so they don't bother me so much, but they DO get my attention! Don't git me started tellin snake stories! :whip:

Sounds like fun, got to get my wing back together first. We grow em purty big over here too. This is a picture of a picture cause my scanner must be pissed at my computer cause they ain't talking to each other right now. This one was taken about twenty miles from where I live. And that ain't me holding that thing either. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Attachments

• IMG01435-20120920-1512.jpg
    IMG01435-20120920-1512.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 184
ive been around a few in my day...they grow big in nothern and central florida ...having an 8ft diamondback raise up on you is just frighting to say the least ...especialy as a kid ..

Wow, that reminds me of growing up on the farm! But I'll catch one if I get a chance and bring them home, but don't bring the poisonous ones home. They fetch good money at local pet shops. Caught one three weeks ago in front of the shop, but he must have got hit by a car cause that is what attracted co worker's attention to him. They ran when I started walking back toward the shop...he wasn't a bad snake with bad juice though. They are good at keeping the field rats away.

Snake roundup is in spring... fried, or snake chili... lol I once shot and ate one on a camping trip.. fried in butter... good eats... around my part of DFW we have cotton mouths/water moccasins... them are fearless... I killed two about three years ago... one attacking my dog. And the other on the road......