Yet another old newbie.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clachair

Reaction score
Hi All,
Second attempt at rebuilding my pride and joy, both times caused by deer. Score so far, Dead Deer - Two, Wounded GW - Twice.
Having trouble locating replacement engine and pannier guards.
Cheers,
John W

1998_10.jpg

Attachments

• 1998_10.jpg
    1998_10.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 181
Thanks Dan.
The last one broke my hand with the fairing.
Actually that got fixed quicker than the bike . . . .

I've managed to weld all the plastic bits back into somewhat close to the original shape.
I'm not sure yet, but I don't think the left guards can be repaired because they were scraped along the road quite badly. I haven't been able to locate a source of replacements, and would welcome any assistance.

:salute: Welcome to the site John, Sorry to hear bout your chain of bad luck, Im glad to hear it was nothing worse then a broken hand

Wow thats a pretty big dog you got there... What breed is he?

Welcome to the CGW forums, Clachair!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Gotta watch out for them deer....they think they own the roads... :Awe:

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!
Folks in this area wouldn't believe Chopin was a mixed breed, so I always said he was an English Foxhound, which he wasn't but it was the closest thing on the vet's chart.
The picture was taken about four years ago, and unfortunately Chopin is no longer with us. :cry:
https://www.ginanjohn.com:85/wc/chopin/g ... in_02.html

Nice bike, BigAndrew. Something the Panzers might have been proud of? :)

Cheers
:salute:

Clachair":2yqvc93z said:
Thanks for the welcome, everybody!
Folks in this area wouldn't believe Chopin was a mixed breed, so I always said he was an English Foxhound, which he wasn't but it was the closest thing on the vet's chart.
The picture was taken about four years ago, and unfortunately Chopin is no longer with us. :cry:
https://www.ginanjohn.com:85/wc/chopin/g ... in_02.html

Nice bike, BigAndrew. Something the Panzers might have been proud of? :)

Cheers

I really like your web page in memory of chopin, It has a nice touch

Clachair":2yqvc93z said:
Something the Panzers might have been proud of?

Im not sure what you mean :headscratch:

Im not sure what you mean
:oops:
Well, my first impression was a very handsome militaristic-looking machine dressed in military garb. Also, the windshield and lowered trunk look like the type fitted to 'Wings sold in Germany; the 'improved' (you would know?) slipstream was supposed to make the bike easier to handle at the higher Autobahn speeds.
Sorry if my impression wasn't accurate, but it was meant as a compliment.
Cheers,
John

I really like your web page in memory of chopin, It has a nice touch
Many thanks BigAndrew. We recently adopted a mother/son pair that had been abandoned and were found living mostly on small furry animals.
When the weather cheers up a bit I'll try to get them on the 'Wing . . . . . . .

img

Attachments

• gaj20100116_8102ws.jpg
    gaj20100116_8102ws.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 155
Hey they are cute looking.. hope you can aclimate them to the wing.. we had a Belgium malenois (looks like a police dog) and she went ape S^*( at the sound of the bike when it started up..

These two would chase motorcycles with a vengeance, but in the last few weeks I've started to get them trained and now they just sit and watch quietly.

:salute: Thanks, I knew you ment it as a compliment, If you want the dogs to ride with ya
You could always attach a sidecar for the dog to ride in :mrgreen:

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 146
I have to admit, the thought of my two look-alikes harnessed into a chair like that is VEERRY tempting.
Watch this space . . . . . . .

Attachments

• 1996_01.jpg
    1996_01.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 141
Hello, welcome to the site ... sorry to hear about the deer accidents but quite pleased about the new wonders in your life especially that they were rescued.
Post on here the parts you are looking for and we'll see if anyone can help, a lot of members belong to other wing forums and we see parts available all the time.

Many thanks to everybody who posted making me feel so welcome. This looks like a really good forum.
As for parts - since EVERY piece of plastic on the bike was broken and/or cracked I thought about trying to find a scrap bike with a blown engine, but no luck, so I've since welded all the bits back together; that job is almost complete.
What I'm short of now is all the bits and pieces that the tow truck driver kept in his pockets; sidelights, grilles etc, but I'm thinking of fabricating something myself using LEDs. I'll post photos as soon as I can.
More importantly, I need the engine and pannier guards, which were very badly scratched up but of course a severe budget constraint limits the possibilities. Any assistnce not requiring pecuniary exchange would be most welcome!!
Cheers Everybody!
John

I’m sure you have had a great deal of advice on how to locate parts but I just had a thought. Many people that post GW parts on Ebay may very well have the parts that you need but just don’t assume anyone would be looking for them. How about emailing people advertising parts for sale and see if any have some of the things you may need. You never know you just might find everything you need.

So you are welding ABS. I seen a course offered at our local JC that teaches ABS welding. I’m a pretty accomplished welder but thought that would be a good skill to learn for many reasons. So my question is how expensive is the welding equipment, and what do you use.

Latest posts