Say a prayer...for my @^#%$&@#% starter....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:Awe: :head bang: :head bang: :sensored: :rant:
So...I fires it up this morn, no prob. Ride to work, stop around da corner and fuel up as I do every mornin. Come back out, hop on, turn key, hit "Start"....click....click....click. WTF?!?! Lights are not dimming, batt not dead, just...click. :head bang:
Push start and get to werk. Check batt voltage, good. Whack the crap outta da solenoid, :builder: click. Check voltage AT The starter with key on, button pushed....get a big fat 12.6. :rant:
Beat the he!! :builder: outta da starter, and get some growls, some clicks, and it fires up. Shut off, try again....CLICK.....
So....apparently, my starter has gone to starter heaven(or where ever bad starters go when they crap the bed...). dammmmmit! :rant:
I ain't too excited aboot having to disassemble half the dang bike to get to it. I can rebuild it....I have the technology....just not the motivation.....have I ever mentioned have freekin LAZY I am? :lazy:

Anyway...if you choose to say a small prayer for my deceased starter, put in a couple of good werds for ME, too.....I'll need all the help I kin git.... :beg: :thanks:
:mrgreen:

What "half the bike"? Lol.

Starter is easy.
Granted some say one exhaust stud is in the way but back up another nut on it, pull just the stud and maybe the shifter and it comes out.
Not half the bike.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97500#p97500:kc1o4ayq said:
Omega Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 am[/url]":kc1o4ayq]
Since you already have to take half the bike apart to get at that starter this might be a good time to replace those muffler bearings. Just tryin to help Joel. :good:

~O~
:smilie_happy: :doh: :wave:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97500#p97500:11hkm74p said:
Omega Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 am[/url]":11hkm74p]
Since you already have to take half the bike apart to get at that starter this might be a good time to replace those muffler bearings. Just tryin to help Joel. :good:

~O~

mcgovern61":11hkm74p said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97500#p97500:11hkm74p said:
Omega Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 am[/url]":11hkm74p]

~O~
:smilie_happy: :doh: :wave:

Wow! Talk about kick a guy while he is down... aww what the hell, who am I kidding, that there is funny! :smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: dan right joel I never had much trouble taking starter out of 1100 ...I don't think even the exhaust stud is in thw way ..but my memory sucks :popcorn: :mrgreen:

dan filipi":hsmvsvl7 said:
What "half the bike"? Lol.
Starter is easy.
Granted some say one exhaust stud is in the way but back up another nut on it, pull just the stud and maybe the shifter and it comes out.
Not half the bike.

Wull..lessee heah...case guards...floorboard w/heel/toe shifter, exhaust...that's aboot 1/2 the bike, ain't it? :headscratch:

O-man...I putted new left & right muffler bearings in it when I did the stator. I wuz smart enuff to put in the ones with grease fittings, so I can grease them, and they'll last longer..... :cheeky: :cheeky:
:smilie_happy:

I'm just hoping all I need to do is replace the brushes, and clean the rest of it up nice and purdy.... :beg:

I promise - the exhaust stud is not in the way! The exhaust pipe, shifter and sub-frame might be, but not the stud. Prayers, positive thoughts and vibes sent your way!!! Probably just loose screws on the brush leads...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97517#p97517:2da6zhqy said:
Steve83 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 am[/url]":2da6zhqy]
I promise - the exhaust stud is not in the way! The exhaust pipe, shifter and sub-frame might be, but not the stud. Prayers, positive thoughts and vibes sent your way!!! Probably just loose screws on the brush leads...

Joel in the time in took me to turn around and get something out of Steves toolbox he had the new starter that he had rebuilt in the 82.

Just a reminder to everyone a little light tap on the end cap is okay to try and shake loose the last little bit of starter brush left, beat the crap out of them and chances are you crack a permanent magnet and consign your starter to the bin. :doh:

:doh: Ya'll are making it sound like it just falls right off.....but....I ain't fallin fer da "naner in da tailpipe" trick..... :cheeky:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Here's the issue from what I see. The floorboards I have(Markland) have a weird heel/toe setup. Not the "normal" slotted fork that fits over the stock shifter. Mine has a rod/clevis that attaches to both the H/T, and a lever on the shift shaft that sticks out of the engine case. Anyway, that rod runs right alongside of the starter. In order for that to be moved, the floorboard has to come off. In order for the board to come off, the case guard has to come off, annnnnd...to get the case guard off, the exhaust has to be dropped.....on both sides.
I wuz looking at it earlier, and noticed it only has one bolt holding the starter on. I can see the lower bolt hole, but it ain't gots no bolt in it. I can see into the hole, and see the threads, so there's no bolt twisted off inside of the hole....which is gud.
Imma gunna try to squeeze it out this weekend, but I bet I wind up taking half the dang bike apart.... :sensored: :hihihi:

Wrenching is fun, but only when you WANT to do it! Not so much when you NEED to do it.

Try puttin' the second bolt in - maybe the starter just isn't getting a good ground to the case. They usually will act up before they just quit...

:rant: :Doh2: Youse guys!!!! Ya'll had me dreading doing this job, and I'll be danged iffin it dint take me but 5 minutes to get the starter off.... :smilie_happy: Seriously...it took longer to get the sockets and ratchet out of the tool box than it did to get it off. I did have to take the shift linkage rod loose from the H/T, to get it out of the way, but once that was off, the darn starter just jumped out!
Starter off, torn down, and pics taken in less than 30 minutes. Now comes the hard part...finding brushes. One of the brushes is worn all the way down, and the braided wire was touching the brush holder. The commutator looks pretty burnt, also, but I know it'll clean up ok. Lots of doo-doo inside the housing....mostly old brush material. Takin it to the shop tomorrow to get it all cleaned up. If I can come up with a set of brushes, I'll be back in bidness quickly.... :beg:

I was just at Sears Hardware the other day and on their back wall near the nuts and bolts was a section misc. stuff in drawers and racks and they had a whole section full of those brushes for motors!

Imma gunna try to source the brushes locally today. If not, then I'll hafta order them from somewhere..
Thanks for the link!

:crying:
Unable to find them locally, even tho these brushes are used in TONS of other bike starters. So...I ordered a set from cheapcycleparts. Guess I won't be riding until later next week....dadgummit.... :head bang:
I did get the starter all cleaned up, and ready to re-assemble. I'll take some pics this weekend of the scattered parts/components.... :popcorn:

Latest posts