A brand new idea, to remove 81 slow jet..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
I think it will work, it came to me tonight and I think it will work..This is a method I haven't tried but I know it will work, I know it will...So many guys fear the removal of the slow jets in the 81's and I think the 80 models are the same please correct me if they are not...here's my idea, tap out the jets about 5 screws down, get a small bolt to fit with the same pitch....place a nut halfway up with two or three washers under it, then place it in and screw it down into the jet until it stops by hand, now the washers are laying on top of the tower right... Wind that nut down until it stops on top of the washers, get a wrench and hold the bolt head and turn the nut with a wrench and the jet will come right up...Done..What do you think guy's..Will it work...

slabghost":3uc6dpwj said:
Sounds like it will work. The same principal is used in gear pullers.
I don't know if it will or not, I think if the jets are embedded really tight the little nut may strip out, or it may just pull it out as planned...Yes, just like a pulley puller, but your turning the nut and holding the head of the bolt and the washers are resting on the top of the tower...

dan filipi":6p5cchsf said:
I'm not following, guess I need a picture or drawing.
If I had an extra set of carbs or a no good set I'd try it on them, perhaps someone that does will try it, I think it's a good idea and will work but I seriously doubt anyone would actually do it.. It was a fun thought though..They would have to find a tap that fit the existing hole in the jet and a small bolt the same size as the tap, and that's probably too much hassel for most guy's,,,,I normally just use a extracting bit to remove them.. Fast and easy..

Sumptin like this, Dan...if this helps.

jettool.jpg

It would prolly werk, but....the jet itself would be useless after tapping threads in it....unless you wanted to go with a really large jet!

AApple":3rluuo2d said:
Sumptin like this, Dan...if this helps.

It would prolly werk, but....the jet itself would be useless after tapping threads in it....unless you wanted to go with a really large jet!
Nice work there on the drawing, I don't think it would hurt the flow of fuel because the actual jet hole sit's down about 3/4" from the top of the jet body, plenty of meat to tap into, I really like the drawing, that's perfectly done...Now if your saying that the threads would mess with the flow of fuel I could see your point. this would require testing it I guess...Anyone ever tap into one and then use it?

I ain't never seen the insides of one of these carbs, so I was just assuming...
I also neglected to draw in the spacer/washers you would need to pull the jet up... :Doh2:

I s'pose it could werk...I use a similar set-up to remove cup plugs/orifices from transmission pumps and such, but I have to replace those pieces after removal.

The reason for giving this whole idea so much thought is because I read of guy's using drywall screws or even selftapping screws then they wiggle it out side to side and pull, it's works I'm sure, and so does an easy out too, but this way you won't or really can't damage the hole that the jet is pressed into because it come's out straight the same way it went in...And I think a double nuts would eliminate the threads from striping...I'm probably over thinking this procedure, but it is pretty simple when you think about it...And maybe someone out there has a no good set Carbs to try it on...Just for the record.... I Say It Works... :smilie_happy: :music: The only way it won't work is this, the clearance from the top of the tower to the top of the jet, how much will it pull up and is it enough to break the seal holding it in ? I will check it next time I pull the Carbs..Maybe some Carb pro's could weigh in on this...? Most don't want to touch it, because it's a danger zone... If a guy screw those jets up, well , he's screwed.. :smilie_happy:

but this way you won't or really can't damage the hole that the jet is pressed into because it come's out straight the same way it went in...

the drywall screw method isn't as scary as it sounds. those things aren't in there that tight.
as you said you don't damage the hole that the gas goes through. this seems like the most important thing.

seems you would have to really reef on the carb body to damage it. putting the jet back in - you wouldn't think it was that hard to get out - slides right in.

I like your idea tho....

Yes, the dry wall screw works from what I hear, and the easyout is my favorite for the task, I was just bored and trying to dream up a different way of doing something...