Exhaust rust and mild exhaust leaks at joints

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks All,

Coming here from New Member Intro section. If I am posting in the wrong place please advice.. I really appreciate all the help from this great forum I have already received.

Over the last two days I have easily put about 150miles on the GL1100.
The bike has smoothed out quite a bit and the shifting has really gotten better also (I put a few ounces of MMO in the oil and continued adding ATF to the fuel).

At any speed over 20-30MPH the bike rides straight like any arrow but at lower speeds I feel a "wobble" like I am riding in sand.. Its not bad at all but certainly different from my other bikes. It might just be the much greater weight of the GL, but I am wondering if it could be something else?

There is some surface rust on the exhaust and a very minor exhaust leak at joints on both sides. Any suggestions---I think it can be cleaned out and repainted. I certainly would not want to spend 3 times what I paid for the bike to do a full replacement.

This bike has already performed well above my expectations. My neighbors can't believe what I paid for it----But I am always honest. Even on the Title change at Sec of State I always put the real amount no matter what I paid. For some reason I am superstitious about keeping clean Karma about motorcycles.

Please give suggestions re: the exhaust pipes. Thanks.

Simba

You got the right place :good:

The stock 1100 mufflers are one piece from the heads to tail except for the crossover pipe.
It sounds like yours are rusted at the usual spot where the mufflers get bigger, near the foot pegs.

I have a set I welded closed, not easy but doable or maybe some of that automotive muffler repair wrap would work. Might be ugly though.
The set I welded I then painted black, looks decent.

dan filipi":3uophg88 said:
You got the right place :good:

The stock 1100 mufflers are one piece from the heads to tail except for the crossover pipe.
It sounds like yours are rusted at the usual spot where the mufflers get bigger, near the foot pegs.

I have a set I welded closed, not easy but doable or maybe some of that automotive muffler repair wrap would work. Might be ugly though.
The set I welded I then painted black, looks decent.

Thanks Dan,

The pipes are sounding okay so I don't think the leaks are big at all. Once the leaks are fixed I don't mind painting the pipes at all. I will post pictures of the rusted areas later. I think painted pipes would actually look nice. Any pictures?

Has anybody taken their bikes to Auto Muffler Repair places and gotten any help? Cost? New pipes are over $600-800.

Any solution for rust removal on pipes? Sorry for asking so many questions over the last few days. You guys have been patient and very helpful and made me greedy for more info.

Thanks,
Simba

No problem with the questions, we like to help.

I've never heard of anyone having them repaired at a muffler shop but I don't see why not, if I can weld them any muffler shop could.

I think I have a picture of my weld job, be right back.

image.php

That's a pretty close up picture so any tiny flaw shows up.
It was a quicky paint job too.

Thanks Dan,

I don't have any welding stuff. I will look into asking local muffler shops for help. I'll post here with what responses I get from them and the cost.

Also, is it easy to take of the tank covers for painting purpose? Soon I will be looking at painting the fenders, side covers and tank cover

Thanks,
Simba

Attachments

• Rphoto.JPG
    Rphoto.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 300
dan filipi":27q60qiz said:
Well the side covers pop off with a pull.
There are 2 top and 1 bottom rubber grommets.
The false tank cover has 2 bolts under the seat and 2 near front of the false tank.

Does the seat need to come off to remove the false tank?
Thanks
Simba

The front-end shimmy-shake could be from a tire problem, forks, brake rotors, steering head bearings, etc etc....mine does that too. I've just learned to live wid it. One day, I'll take the time to determine what is causing it....maybe... :read:

The exhaust leak could be an easy fix, or a pain..depends on the actual location. Mine has a leak on the right pipes where the two head pipes come together, just under the head. I can hear it, and feel it, but have no idea how to get to it! They'll need to come of, then I'll either sand-blast, or wire brush to get the rust off, weld the leak, and paint to suit. If you can locate the leak, any competent welder, or muffler shop should be able to patch it up for ya.

AApple":2y58vabd said:
The front-end shimmy-shake could be from a tire problem, forks, brake rotors, steering head bearings, etc etc....mine does that too. I've just learned to live wid it. One day, I'll take the time to determine what is causing it....maybe... :read:

The exhaust leak could be an easy fix, or a pain..depends on the actual location. Mine has a leak on the right pipes where the two head pipes come together, just under the head. I can hear it, and feel it, but have no idea how to get to it! They'll need to come of, then I'll either sand-blast, or wire brush to get the rust off, weld the leak, and paint to suit. If you can locate the leak, any competent welder, or muffler shop should be able to patch it up for ya.

thanks, I think my exhaust leaks are at the same place. I will post here any solutions from local muffler shops.
Shimmy shake---good description of what I am feeling at low speeds. I hope it is just the front forks needing heavier oil. I will see what my mechanic says. I may ask the shop to take off the fenders, covers so I can do the cosmetics while they do the mechanicals.
Thanks
Simba

The low speed shimmy could be from a bubble on a tire.. even the rear one.. place on center stand and slowly rotate tires watching for a bump or bubble up.. I am not talking about a raised kerf on the siping (tread grooving) but a roundish bump... also it could be low tire pressure.. check air and at least 38 lbs in the tires.. most tires rated 40 lbs.. check side wall.. the pipes can be welded getting a muffler shop to do it may require you remove the pipes and walk them in.. also you may need to replace exhaust crush ring gaskets.. could have one missing or damaged..

I noticed your paint on the false tank and the rack mounting holes.. did you remove the fairing and bags or was it done by a PO??.. nice looking bike though..

There is a common wobble on these bikes once the front tire get's worn to a point, some bikes worse than others and some not at all. It happens during deceleration between 45 and 30 mph.
Usually wobble won't come on as long as you have your hands on the bars.
Mine would wobble with a 1/2 worn Pirelli, when new not at all.

I have a new Dunlop E3 front, shall see if it wobbles.

I have checked all head and wheel bearings front and rear. Everything is tight.

dan filipi":1t95hrd4 said:
There is a common wobble on these bikes once the front tire get's worn to a point, some bikes worse than others and some not at all. It happens during deceleration between 45 and 30 mph.
Usually wobble won't come on as long as you have your hands on the bars.
Mine would wobble with a 1/2 worn Pirelli, when new not at all.

I have a new Dunlop E3 front, shall see if it wobbles.

I have checked all head and wheel bearings front and rear. Everything is tight.
I have to admit that I have never experienced any front end wobble???? Is it possible that it is related to Interstate and Aspencades as a result of the balance from the Honda fairing? My bike, being a Standard originally, does not have that "fairing weight" attached I hear so much about.....but my bike doesn't have the front end wobble either??? Maybe it is the Bridgestone S11's that keep it from wobbling? :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I too would be curious about a muffler shop welding up the pipes!

Thanks Everybody,

I stopped by a muffler shop on the way home---the guy was nice but refused to do anything with my pipes. He referred me to a place that may be able to help. On today's ride I could hear a minor exhaust leak ---tap tap tap. I think some of the original welds may need some rewelding. There is some rust as well that needs some elbow grease.

I will check tire pressures and inflate my E2 to 38psi both front and rear? I will let you know.

Some guy is selling his 83 GL1100 side covers, both fenders and tank covers for $100. I told him I will get them this evening. I hope they fit my 82GL1100. He would not budge any lower. The ones on my bike are okay, but does not hurt to have a second pair that I can start tot work on and paint.
https://flint.craigslist.org/mcy/2583105750.html

The fairings and bags had been removed by PO. I got the bike as is. Today, I will start cosmetics. The mechanic's shop has no room for the next 2 days.

Thanks,
Simba

simbaboy":cd1wifur said:
Some guy is selling his 83 GL1100 side covers, both fenders and tank covers for $100. I told him I will get them this evening. I hope they fit my 82GL1100.
All of these items will fit your '82!

chasrogers":2gk2pusi said:
check with the honda dealer first or get some more comments before you buy them

Hah, Honda dealer probably wouldn't have a clue.
Ask HERE because even though many part numbers (dealers method) may be different it still may fit.

Nearly everything all years 1100 will fit all years 1100.
Many GL1000 parts will fit also.
(But do ask here first before ordering)