Seat Overhaul

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a retired aircraft mechanic so working on motorcycles doesn't really scare me. Changing tires, no problem with the tools in hand. Pulling an engine, piece of cake. Installing a new ignition system, done that and bought the t-shirt. Upholstery... Houston, we have a problem!

I ride a bike that is 34 years old and the seat looks like it.

20150313_200233.jpg

Sure I didn't buy the bike with the seat looking like this, but the more I rode it, the worse it got. I thought I was going to be spending about $250 to get the seat redone and I wasn't looking forward to it. Then I found this:

0000-saddlemen-saddle-skins-replacement-seat-cover.jpg

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.c...-skins-replacement-seat-cover?WT.ac=SLIsearch

So rather than paying someone $250 I decided to spend the $55 and buy it. It arrived today so tonight was the night to get to work on the seat. First I had to remove the chrome trim pieces:

20150313_201631.jpg

and then pry out the staples:

20150313_201651.jpg

When that is all done, I was left with a piece of foam.

20150313_202922.jpg

I got the new seat cover out of the box and it was just about a perfect match to the original:

20150313_203004.jpg

A you do is simply lay it over the foam and start pulling the the cover to stretch it out and then pull the string to get everything just right. This is what I was left with.

20150313_205751.jpg

Now I just want to let it stretch out over night and then decide if I need to staple it in place or tighten the string to put everything in its final place.

20150313_205714.jpg

When I am finished, its just a matter of putting the chrome trim pieces back on... maybe. Still not sure if I am going to reuse those or not, but either way, I am pretty happy with what I got.

Looks great, I have been told the best fit is to use a heat gun on low or blow dryer to warm up the vinyl then stretch and when it cools it tightens up, still looks good as you have it.

Out of curiosity, did the new cover come with the plastic lining that goes between the cover and the foam to prevent water getting through like the OEM seat?

my seat is swade mostly and very open for moisture to get through ..the plus side of that is it takes no time to dry ..and i like it ... to bad theres a hole starting in it ...best seat ive ever used really ....i think the more you try and keep water out the more you keep in ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152951#p152951:11r5ev51 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 pm[/url]":11r5ev51]
Out of curiosity, did the new cover come with the plastic lining that goes between the cover and the foam to prevent water getting through like the OEM seat?

I honestly do not remember Gerry and the photos I have don't show the underside. I do remember that the underside has additional foam padding to help fill in any imperfections that were created when removing the old seat cover.

Latest posts