Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101286#p101286:rax81a13 said:
dan filipi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:45 pm[/url]":rax81a13]
It's the rear right?
I'd run with the patch but keep speeds below 60 if you can.

REALLY? Below 60???? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Yeah...that ain'ta guna happen....I'd get creamed from behind before I even got on the hiway..... :smilie_happy:

I'm not so skeered of riding with the patched tire....I just don't know that it will hold air. Well...I'm sure it will hold better than before it was patched, but it might have a slow leak. A tube would solve that issue. Imma gunna check with the Hardley place(did I say that out loud?) and see if they have anything in my size in stock. If they do, I'll get a new tire from them. I've checked all of the other bike dealers/parts places...they just don't stock the size I need. :crying:
I don't HAVE to do it this weekend, but I really wanna...I hate havin to cage it back/forth to werk.....it's like werkin to get TO werk.... :nea:

patch or replace?

I vote replace. I got a nail at 500 miles on my Tenere. It's a tire i will carve up for offroad or ice riding, but would never ride on the street.
Radial tire repairs on cycles are dangerous. Yes, you can install the "mushroom" style patch-plug but if the puncture cut any cords you can have what we call "sudden and catastrophic failure" with no warning. Your life is not worth the price of a tire?

Recommended tires:

For touring bikes, based purely on my own service manager dealership experience, would be Avon, Pirelli, or Michelin. The Avons worked awesome for mileage, and the new Michelins are well worth every penny...simply amazing tires that wear like iron but handle like a sport tire.

I never really liked Bridgestone but I just pulled over 12,000 miles out of my Battleaxe tires on the Tenere and that's a dual sport tire! I am very hard on the throttle so maybe i have become a fan of Bridgestone?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101301#p101301:1ry03pwd said:
Ansimp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:59 am[/url]":1ry03pwd]
I love my Metzlers on the CBR1000s :good:

My son Alex uses Metzlers on his XR650R dirt bike, Jeremy loves Michelin Pilot Power street tires on his CBR1000 and I run either Yokohama or Pirelli on my own XR650R.
I've always loved Avon on touring bikes. We see very good mileage with excellent traction from rain to snow and everything in between.

Remember this...I am purely giving my own opinion based on personal use and customer feedback. Buying tires is like picking out shoes. Go with the best you can afford and form your own opinions. Incorrect tire pressure is the number one killer of tires. 40 pounds rear and 28 pounds front recommended on GL1000. We run 36-40fr/42-45rr on the GL1500 or any fully loaded touring bike. Anyone have feedback for a loaded up Wing?

Youse guys are forgetting the main issue.....the tire has to FIT the bike.... :Doh2:
The selection for a 130-90-17 is kinda slim, compared to other year 'Wings that have different sized rims.
I wound up just getting the crappy Dunlop 404(I know... :rtfm: ), but it will get me thru the winter riding, so I can get a real tire to put on before spring. It was the ONLY option I had locally. The Hardly place dint have ANYTHING in the correct size. The Dunlop was the only one I could find locally in the correct size, so that's what I got. I'm mounting it today... :builder:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101426#p101426:1mp39ats said:
joedrum » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:19 pm[/url]":1mp39ats]
pitiful how bad the tire situation is on 17" rims
(My tires are holding up........Bridgestone Spitfires ya know...) :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101412#p101412:31is0azn said:
AApple » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:02 am[/url]":31is0azn]
Youse guys are forgetting the main issue.....the tire has to FIT the bike.... :Doh2:
The selection for a 130-90-17 is kinda slim, compared to other year 'Wings that have different sized rims.
I wound up just getting the crappy Dunlop 404(I know... :rtfm: ), but it will get me thru the winter riding, so I can get a real tire to put on before spring. It was the ONLY option I had locally. The Hardly place dint have ANYTHING in the correct size. The Dunlop was the only one I could find locally in the correct size, so that's what I got. I'm mounting it today... :builder:

Better a new D flop than no tire at all. I put on Shinko this last time. So far I'm happy with them.

Otay...the Dunlop is on now...finally. I gotta say, taking that dang Bridgestone OFF was the hardest dang tire I've EVER had to remove.....I spent over an HOUR just tryin to get the beads popped. I wonder if it was because I mounted them dry, since I used the Dyna beads?
Anyway....I eventually got smart....I kept eyeing my vacuum pump(for A/C work), and finally dug it out, hooked a hose up to the valve stem, turned the pump on, and....sucked one of the beads right off. Success! I tried to take a pic of the tire all mashed flat, but dam camera batteries were dead. After that, I had to stick the other side under the tire of one of the cars, and roll over it to pop the other bead loose. Once I got the beads broke, the rest of the job went quick. I used a spoon(don't tell Mama) to gather as many of the Dynabeads as I could to reuse.
Bad news is...my rear braking pads are gone...so now I gotta get new pads again. Sure wish I would'a known that while I was at the bike place gettin the tire.... :Doh2:
I hope this tire will at least last until....Christmas.... :beg:

Well fellers....I been REEEEL quiet about how my latest rear tire was doing, in hopes of not jinxing it, but...SOME of youse guys just won't let it go(o-man), and ya'll jinxed it FOR me..... :rant:
Well...thanks to your continued diggin at me aboot it, I have to update it.
As of yestidy, I had put....drum roll preeeze...
smiley43.gif

It lasted 8460 miles! :clapping: Thass the gud newz....
Bad newz am....as I was rolling it out this mernin to go to werk, the rear felt funny. I looked, and it was low, so I rolls it back in da geeraj, and air it up.....that's when I see it.....a large CHUNK gone off the tread in one spot....it's got cord showin thru(pics this evenin). This is fabulous news(NOT!), after also breaking the dang center stand lever off when I got home last nite. Might even explain why it was so hard to get on the stand. Guess the chunk flew off on the ride home yesterday, as I normally check the thing every day to see if there are any problems with it. The tread is getting down there, but I figured it would last the summer, tread-wise.
Oh well....this one lasted longer than any of the other tires I have had on it, with the exception of the Dunlop that was on it when I bought it in '08.
I think the REAL issue with my crappy tire problems has been the SUPPLIER(DK)....I shall be ordering a front and rear tire today from Bike Bandit. The front is cupping pretty bad, and howls like a banshee on curves....and it is at least a couple years old....maybe more.
So there ya has it. Now...I gotta figure out a way to get the rear tire off....with NO center stand to pop it up on! :headscratch: :whistling:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129478#p129478:1ju9mgs0 said:
AApple » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 am[/url]":1ju9mgs0]
Now...I gotta figure out a way to get the rear tire off....with NO center stand to pop it up on! :headscratch: :whistling:

Lift the back end of the bike from the ceiling of your garage with a come-along...

I also run the Shinkos and even though i shouldnt.. i have 2 patches in my rear tire! the 1st one happened at 200 miles from new and the 2nd was 3 weeks ago at 13,500 miles. It is working for me and i ride 160 interstate miles a day in the Phoenix,Az. heat, soon it will need replacment. i would not advise any one to patch but it has been a good thing for my pocket... Just my opinion in my small world

If you have a floor jack they work great at lifting the bike high enough to take off the rear wheel. 21,000 + miles on a set of Dunlops and they passed the PA state inspection again this year. I hear the Shinkos are about as good as the Dunlops, in fact I have a set of them in the garage to go on the end of this year.