winter storage for my wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to store my wing for winter i am filling up the tank ,adding sea foam got any other suggestions? its in a heated shop thanks

Is it that time of year already :crying:

Change oil and filter so its not sitting with corrosive old oil on the internals.
Run it for 10 minutes to coat everything.

Run it completely out of gas, better yet drain the bowls by removing the drain screws.

Fill gas tank to the rim.

Put her up on the center stand, weight off tires

Put moth balls around the air filter to keep rodents away.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought whether the engine should be run every month or so.
I'm undecided.

It seems to me a good idea to run it so the engine internals get coated with fresh oil after draining off from sitting and to burn off any condensation inside, I would think that would take a few fan cycles at least.

But then again by running the engine the cooling cycle actually causes condensation to build up in the engine and exhaust.

Stored indoors heated is definitely a plus.
Outdoors would be a whole different story especially if uncovered and in humid climates.

Let's here more from the guys in cold states that store their bike and other power equipment on this.

I keep mine in an unheated garage all winter...though the garage is part of the house so it really never goes below 40 degrees in there. I also change my oil and filter, but I do start mine up every other week and run it (more for fun than anything) and I take it out all winter whenever possible if no snow.

I think the manual has a storage procedure if I remember correctly.

Agree with the oil change. I put about 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank then rev it up and pour the other half in the intake until it dies out with too much seafoam. Whatever is left I pour into the tank and top it off with a gas can then on the center stand and block under the front to take the front tire off the floor too.

I don't run it thru the winter because I've got everything internal covered with the seafoam. And I do agree you'll never run it enought to overcome the condensation issue. Come Spring I roll it way out down the drive and have to use starting fluid and sometimes gas down the plenum to get it started. It will smoke like hell but never seems to have any ill effects and runs well right from the start.

One word of warning. If you top off the tank right to the top the bike and gas are usually cold because its almost winter. When you take it out or get ready to start it it could be warmer. Gas expands and a totally full cold tank will become an over full warm tank. Don't ask me how I know. Just don't crack the gas cap until you burn off some of the fuel.

Ditto on the oil change, I just give her a good wipe down put her on the center stand, start her up and let her run out of gas wait till she cools down cover her up with the cover that came with her, ooops forgot to say take the battery out and store in the basement of the house( make sure you don't set the battery directly on the concrete floor, set it on a board or my favorite a 2x4)
if it's 10* below outside then it's 10* below in my garage :hi:

All good advise, I will pull the spark plugs and mist some wd-40 or the like in the cylinders and put the plugs back in, I use a float charger to keep the battery in good condition also. Pledge furniture polish actually works real good for keeping the dust and icky stuff from sticking to paint and chromey stuff too!

usually I change oil, run and park... on center stand with something under front tire... cardboard or something...
pull the battery and take inside, stabil the gas in the tank. run it into the carbs.
and cover tightly with first the bike cover then a tarp.
parked in a unheated pole barn with sand floor.

I guess I am just lucky, Here I can usually get out every couple of weeks for a short ride between bad weather sooo I just park and ride ( now that being said It will probably be the worst winter on record... :smilie_happy: :whistling:

What everyone already said plus one thing. I also put rubber caps with hose clamps on the exhaust tips to keep out any outside moisture since you can't have all cylinders on a compression stroke and then all valves closed. Just helps to prevent rust forming in the cylinders from moisture getting past open valves. :good:

Once the salt hits the road,the wing comes off it untell the second rain of spring.
I fill the tank and add a small shot of seafoam,charge and disconnect battery,change oil and go over everything from tires to bulbs,clean it,cover it and forget it.

We live in the South,so our season last pretty much all year.I do change to 10w/30 in the winter.And do most of the stuff I've put off.This year I'm pretty much doing everything over the winter.Course thats just because I just got it,and it needs alot of TLC...........ALOT OF TLC............ :beg:

Pretty much the same here but this "winter" mine is loosing the luxury of a dry garage to make space for an 83 engine rebuild. Bitch will be in the driveway covered with a tarp.

I've never had the luxury of a garage.It was turned into a master bedroom,and the wife wont let mine in.She must be jealous.

put some seafoam or stabull in the tank of each bike, fill the tank. take the battery out of the 450 and 750, disconnect the battery on the wings but leave them on the bikes, put each on their centerstand, pledge them all from top to bottom, and cover them

paddy.shadow":854iizrf said:
Pledge furniture polish actually works real good for keeping the dust and icky stuff from sticking to paint and chromey stuff too!

Slick idea paddy.shadow, my wife mentioned that but I didn't think much of it at the time. I'll have to give that one a try. :thanks: :good:

Maybe I'm just odd BUT I pull the plugs and mist a bit of diesel fuel into the cylinders, not much just a few squirts with a old glass cleaner bottle. A old friend that had been riding for longer then I've been alive told me this helps to keep rust from forming on the cylinder walls and piston rings.

I do this AFTER I change the oil and filter then add stabil to the tank and drive for a few kilometers to ensure the stabil is all through the carbs and the fresh oil has 'flushed' the old oil that just never drains. Refill tank leaving just enough room for expansion on them warm days. Put the bile on center stand, jack the front end up so BOTH tires are off the ground. Drop the pressure in both tires (don't know why but was told by a old biker friend that it "helps the tires"). Pull the battery, cover the bike and hope Mother Nature is kind with a early spring.

Be warned, when you first fire the bike in the spring the diesel WILL make a lot of smoke for a few minutes and takes a few more cranks to startup the first time.

Second warning, use regular diesel not Pink (farm grade) or you'll make your neighbours very unhappy with the sulfur smell that takes ages to clear. Yeah, I made that mistake just ONCE.

Latest posts