Back to a Standard with the Wife's approval!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I came across this GL1100 over at NGW and it really struck me as the best of both worlds! Windshield on a Standard, with the Hondaline sidebags, no trunk but keep the back rack with a Travelcade seat!
rtfrontweb.jpg

So, I am thinking about removing the Vetter fairing and taking her back to her roots!
Restored 82.JPG

rtweb.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85198#p85198:3c0itz77 said:
dan filipi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 am[/url]":3c0itz77]I like the 1/2 naked look but I'd miss the wind break from the fairing and all the extra goodies of a fairing.

That's why we need both a dresser and a Standard ..

Getting the project started is a bit of a challenge when finances are low (or nil) and we have been recovering from numerous surgeries around here for the last 10 months. (My left knee last August, Wife had two discs removed from her neck with bone grafts, she then had he appendix explode a few weeks ago and I just had my knees drained and injected last week :eek: ) We are trying to move forward without winning more "frequent bedpan visitor" award points for being in the hospital! :hihihi:

So.......it is time to start building up the parts to make her back into a Standard! :clapping:

Few things on the list.........
- Front turn signals and headlight (if any one has a complete set I am interested!).
- Front fork Emblem since the one that was on my '82 originally fell off from deterioration when we restored the bike.
- A seat that matches that seat on the other bike I posted earlier.
- Left side battery cover
- Windshield

The seat came up real soon!! :music3:

My buddy across the street has a friend that had a Goldwing seat without a pan. The seat has a tag that says "Travelcade". It sure looks like the seat on that other bike! I figure..."no brainer"! Get a beat up Goldwing seat, strip it for the pan and staple the Travelcade to it! :yahoo:

Off to Ebay and found a seat for $30 with free shipping! Here it is next to the Travelcade:

image.php

image.php

image.php

The Travelcade sure looks like this one:

image.php

Ulp! :shock: PROBLEM!! The seat pan, which is from an '82 Standard Goldwing is different than the pattern inside of the Travelcade! Go and see my buddy and he finds out the Travelcade cover was from a '77 Wing! :doh:

image.php

image.php

I took my Saddleman Road Sofa off to compare the pans:

image.php

image.php

Any ideas on the next best approach????

Hey that's my bike!
The shield is a bit noisy at speed but I'm still fiddling with it. (angle, height etc.) I'm 5'10" with a long torso. Also I wear a 1/2 helmet this time of year. 3/4 spring and late fall. Things might change.
As far as the seat goes, I know everyone's arse is different but for my 160lb body it not as comfy as it looks. I'm only good for an hour on it without my Airhawk pad. Your arse may differ.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85198#p85198:3jagmmrq said:
dan filipi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 am[/url]":3jagmmrq]I like the 1/2 naked look but I'd miss the wind break from the fairing and all the extra goodies of a fairing.

That is why I wanted the 1000: that will be the naked Wing and I will keep the Vetter on the 1100. Now if I could just find the time to get started on it!

Took the '82 seat apart and then tried the pan on the Travelcade seat.......no dice.......not even remotely close. I took the cover off the Travelcade foam to see how the '82 foam compares and the difference is too dramatic. I could try cutting down the foam on the Travelcade to make the pan somewhat fit, but I am afraid that it will ruin the feel of the seat. I think I am going to go with selling the Travelcade cover and foam (BTW, it is real comfy!)

I also learned something about the '82 seat: There is a thin layer of clear plastic between the cover and the foam preventing water from penetrating into the foam. The Travelcade seat (and my Saddleman seat) do not have this layer of plastic. I am going to hang on to the '82 pan and foam since they are in excellent condition should I decide to recover it and go back to 100% OEM Standard!

Slow progress on this.....budget got busted early!! :cheeky:

I have successfully secured some of the more important OEM headlight and turn signal items.

Got a set of OEM turn signals and headlight brackets that are like new!
Thanks to joedrum, I have the gaskets that fit into the headlight brackets on the forks.
OEM headlight mounted yellow reflectors that mount on the side of the headlight.
OEM Honda badge and bracket for the forks.

Only two items remaining; an OEM headlight assembly and a windshield! (gitter done!) :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94256#p94256:1n6ionf9 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm[/url]":1n6ionf9]
Slow progress on this.....budget got busted early!! :cheeky:

I have successfully secured some of the more important OEM headlight and turn signal items.

Got a set of OEM turn signals and headlight brackets that are like new!
Thanks to joedrum, I have the gaskets that fit into the headlight brackets on the forks.
OEM headlight mounted yellow reflectors that mount on the side of the headlight.
OEM Honda badge and bracket for the forks.

Only two items remaining; an OEM headlight assembly and a windshield! (gitter done!) :yes:

Is the headlight from a 1000 the same as an 1100?

Latest posts