1200 valve cover damage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Starting to put this 1200 back together, found some damage on the inside lip of the valve cover grooves on one end where the seal sits on both covers.

Any ideas what would cause this?
I have seen similar damage on 1100 covers.
Stress crack/breakaway of some kind?

There's a small gouge in the top outside of one of the covers, doesn't look to me there was enough of an impact to do this though.....

(In blue is where the lip is bent some and cracked at the cover)
image.php

image.php

image.php

My thoughts also as the extra covers I have also have the same damage. Caveman tech is one thing, but neanderthal tech is completely different!

So lets take it one step further, any harm with using them as they are or even breaking that piece off completely?

They look like they will still seal well enough for use to me. I would use some sort of epoxy to reinforce the cracks though. Don't want pieces breaking loose in use.

I have an 1100 valve cover like that and it didn't leak. The seal on the rubber gasket still worked since it is mostly just a splash guard for the oil.

I would venture to say that cover was dropped.....fell off the table/bench...

Swag.....perhaps a PO dint get the seal properly down in the groove, and just cranked down on the bolts. If the seal was hanging over that edge, it could crack it like that.....I've seen it done on oil pans, and other thin sectioned aluminuminum parts. I would put some Aviation sealer on the seal, and in the groove, and run them.....I don't think they would leak....at least not from there. :eek:k:

80019.jpg

Latest posts