16" wheel/shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While tearing down this '75 of mine, I noticed the rear wheel is 16" instead of 17". :headscratch:
A little investigating revealed that Lester made a 16" but not a 17" for these bikes.

Needing new shocks, I'm thinking about going with 14" shocks instead of the 13.5" to get the height back to stock.

I need some input on which shocks work well on these bikes. Hagon, Progressive....?
I don't foresee any loads on this bike other than myself so I'm not going air shocks.

Also, what are your thoughts on tires? 130/90-16 or 140/90-16?

140 will fit, but the seam of the swingarm needs to be massaged and the rotor needs to be loose to reinstall the rim. I think I even needed to let the air out of the tire to squeeze it through. If you're tall, you might like the extra height of rear shocks, but I think most prefer it lower. Much easier to back up.

I know you are not interested in buying air shocks. :eek:k: But you can rebuild your old stock cans, into Brand New Progressives, with their seals,springs,dampers,& boots, at about 1/2 the cost of new ones. :good: Giving you the ability to have more comfort adjustments with the air as well as the stiffness. :yes: Have had both types of suspensions over the years, like the air with more adjustments myself, :roll: your choice, just information on my part of your choices & the cost of this option. :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166914#p166914:3vzn46qb said:
Denver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:35 am[/url]":3vzn46qb]
I know you are not interested in buying air shocks. :eek:k: But you can rebuild your old stock cans, into Brand New Progressives, with their seals,springs,dampers,& boots, at about 1/2 the cost of new ones. :good: Giving you the ability to have more comfort adjustments with the air as well as the stiffness. :yes: Have had both types of suspensions over the years, like the air with more adjustments myself, :roll: your choice, just information on my part of your choices & the cost of this option. :whistling:
His is a 75. They didn't have air shocks to begin with so he'd have to buy and adapt a set.

These Monroe shocks were on the bike.

IMG_0012.JPG

Tend to agree, :oops: didn't realise air was not there, :doh: my 1100's as well as my 1200's had them. :shock:

hmmm like others here i fell the oldwings are a bit tall stock ...my bike has 15" 1200 rear wheel set up on a 1000 frame ...with 1100 shocks the shortest of stock oldwing shocks ...i did this change for gearing for hi way road eating ....80 mph at 3900 rpm ...the motor is 1200 short block ...i like the set up as it is easier to handle with the lower center of gravity ...im about 5'11" tall ....