75 GL1000 transmission issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrelijahgardner

Reaction score
My Bike Models
75 GL1000
77 GL1000
78 GL1000
79 CM400A
85 GL1200
89 Venture 1200
I am sadistic in my attempts to bring and old wing back to life.

I'm working on a 75 GL1000. I got the bike running and had and internal engine issue and locked up. I've put a second engine in it and got it running. The new engine has a transmission issue.

*THE CLUTCH IS NOT STUCK
*THE CLUTCH IS ADJUSTED PROPERLY
*THE CLUTCH PLATES ARE IN GOOD CONDITION

when rolling the bike on flat ground: the bike rolls freely. I can put the bike in gear and it will no longer roll. I can pull the clutch in and it will roll freely.

If I roll the bike backwards in gear it will roll freely and make a clicking sounds.

If start the bike and put it in gear in only grinds and click when trying to take off. It doesn't move under it's own power.

If I spin the starter over in gear on the center stand the rear tire will move but it also makes the grinding noise.

If someone can point me in the right direction before I pull the engine and and start tearing into the old engine and this one swapping parts over blindly.

Have you checked the rear wheel driven gear?
I do have another one I could change it out with. It worked correctly with the last engine. Is there something that could have happened during the engine change that would cause that issue?

I changed the rear differential. The old one seems fine. The clicking noise is coming from the output shaft area of the engine. Ujoint and splines are in good shape.

Last edited:
I changed the rear differential. The old one seems fine. The clicking noise is coming from the output shaft area of the engine. Ujoint and splines are in good shape.

After messing with it more. It seems the bike doesn't have a correctly working 1st gear. The other gears seem to work fine.