1975 HONDA CB400F Super Sport "Barn Find"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
About this time last year I discovered a 75 CB400F hiden away in a goat barn near here.
It had been abandoned 15 years ago and was not put away well.Aside from all the goat crap crambed in every oriface,it had a ripped seat,rotted tires stuck carbs and cables a door bell button starter and toggle switch ignition.Plus buck horn bars,poor fitting rear rack,highway pegs and a whole list of stuff a Super Sport shouldnt.

I spent most of the winter cleaning it up,touching it up where I had to,polishing where I could,replacing all the rubber,cables,hoses and sourceing correct bars as well as reproduction tires and seat cover.Replacing the wiring harness,rebuilding the carbs and suspension.More of a revival than a restoration.

This is the finest riding bike I have ever riden.Perfect and smooth in everyway.Thinks its a two stroke though.A real rever!But the six speed makes up for that.

I am happy to say all my hard work paid off today as it just recieved 1st place (300cc-600cc) at the GILMORE MUSEUMS "Classic Motorcycle Show" today. https://www.GilmoreCarMuseum.org

This is one of the largest and finest shows in this area and I am very proud.

Attachments

• gilmore 019.JPG
    gilmore 019.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 275
  • gilmore 023.JPG
    gilmore 023.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 275
  • cb400f 003.JPG
    cb400f 003.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 274
  • cb400f 012.JPG
    cb400f 012.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 273
  • cb400f 008.JPG
    cb400f 008.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 274
  • cb400f 006.JPG
    cb400f 006.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 272
Tory":3miuf238 said:
abandoned 15 years ago and was not put away well

:shock: Now THAT'S the understatement of the year!!! :shock: Yeeeesh! Looks like someone drug that thing thru the backs of the Black Bayou!

You did a fantastic job of bringin it back to life! Congrats! :clapping: :good:

Dan
The red paint was surprizingly preserved and needed nothing more than polishing.All the rubber had to be replaced however,as well as finding correct bars and such.
I did need to repaint the motor and swingarm.The carbs where froze but a little dip in an ultra sonic cleaner and new kits had them like new.

Attachments

• parts 009.JPG
    parts 009.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 222
Your Hired my man...Most excellent work there..You have earned the right to be very proud...

Very nice, I bought one new in 1975 and discovered I like to tour. Sold it in the Fall for a BMW R75/6. When I see one today I still wish I had it. Doug

Well,Its no Goldwing,but I did ride it down to MID OHIO Vintage bike days this year.1,000 mile round trip and it ran flawlessly.

Attachments

• MID OHIO 2012 005.JPG
    MID OHIO 2012 005.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 100