1976 Goldwing G1000 alternator wiring fryed?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo1

Reaction score
Hey all!

New member with a question for the collective: My Dad just purchased a 1976 Goldwing in good mechanical condition, but it has an interesting electrical puzzle. There are 3 yellow wires which come out of the alternator and attach to the bullet-connectors under the left side fairing/cover. Near the connectors, these 3 wires have all been cut within 2 inches of the original bullet connectors and replaced with commonly available spade-type automotive connectors. Sometime after they were replaced, then THESE replaced sections again got hot enough to melt. Is there any common problem that might cause this or does anyone have advice on what to troubleshoot first? We want to get this root-cause rectified before finishing the restoration and 'firing her up'.

Thanks in advance!

It's very common for those connections to overheat like that especially if the spade connectors weren't soldered.
It's common place to directly solder all 3 connections without any connectors.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Absolutely, you need to cut out the spade connectors, and solder all three wires direct. It is "normal" to find the factory connectors melted there....lottsa amperage going thru bad connections, and the heat melts them. Go ahead and FIX it...you'll be glad ya did.

Click on this and see how I did mine...
Welcome to the CGW Forums, too! :clapping:

Latest posts