1980 1100 needs a front master cylinder, aftermarket fitment help needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1980 needs a new master up front, mine is just too pitted to re use and buying another used at 40 bucks and up maybe needing rebuilt, maybe just as pitted doesn't sound good.
So this is my question, I have heard the new ones around 50 bucks from China(also sold by US sellers) can be used, They have a 14MM bore, banjo bolt same size and many have bolted them up and are happy. That`s fine but the Interstate has the pull up handlebars and have a pull down where it would mount. No problem so long as the fluid feed hole isn't starved. I just don't know how much an angle it can handle.
second style new master cylinder from China has an angled reservoir to accommodate the slope of the bars but the bore is only 12.7MM.
There are also miscellaneous good used masters from known working bike of all brands and many with 7/8 handlebars but the bore size is unknown.
Here`s what I`m asking, are any of you running that Chinese master on your Interstate or Aspencade? Are any of you using a later model 1200(1/2 inch bore) or 1500(1/2 inch bore) front master cylinder? How about a master cylinder from another Honda or other brand?
I`m looking for a temporary or permanent solution, If later on I can find a known good used or something with a good bore that`s affordable I`ll do it and keep it original, I do like original parts.
Thanks for any help.

hmmmmm what would you do to rebuild the china one where the parts for it ,,today there so many just manufacture parts of no support what so ever products ....that this is a gamble also ..here in oldwings you just do the best you can ...as parts are purposely drop to try and kill off the oldwings by gov and manufactures of the oldwings ...just sickening dirty business regulators to push things the way they want ....

I am going to try one off a CBR1000f on my 81 in August. I used it as a test on my mates 80 Ducati Darmah which has large single piston calipers like my Goldwing and it greatly improved the performance. I am hoping that I can repeat the results with my Goldwing.

Well you guys talked me into it..I have one coming on a slow boat from China, Would have ordered from the U.S if any of them had black.... We`ll see how it goes

I ordered one from china Off ebay a few weeks back. It came with a rebuild kit all for about $38. I've not put it on yet thought. Soon!

Mine just came today goldwing girl, I paid about the same, I have never felt the front disk brake on a GL before but have had many bikes and it feels just like any other stock single piston dual disk set up I have ever had or used. I cant complain but there is one thing I wished I would have done and that was to look at my sellers other master cylinders. It seems he also sold them with the exact same specs only the reservoir is angled to accommodate the angle of the handle bars
As it is now the brake fluid covers the feed holes and that really is all that matters, the lid seals very well and I can turn the bars all the way left and level out the fluid , install the cap and turn the bars strait and it doesn't leak so it has a good seal. Plus I got the extra rebuild kit as well.
I think at the price they are I may order the better fitting angled master and just sell this one or hang on to it, not sure yet.
I put some anti seize in the mounting bolts, The tap just wasn't all that good but it functions and it will get me down the road awhile.
DSCF2218_zps0a84aaf5.jpg

DSCF2219_zps75b2bb91.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84226#p84226:2u08p5gx said:
Ansimp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm[/url]":2u08p5gx]Zman can you post the link to the angled cylinder please?
Here ya go..Now you will have to ignore the fitment he listed, it is 14MM and 7/8th bars and 10X1.25 banjo so it will work the same ..This guy is a good seller too..Got mine in 6 days.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-Hydra ... 1c337b5120

Thanks Zman I will use that one instead of bringing along my second hand cbr1000f one. You said it came with a spare piston kit, I was wondering if you could check the measurement just so I can be sure that the nice Chinese man is telling the truth.

I`m getting 13.90 on the piston so bore would be a little bigger, close enough I suppose..If you didn't notice he has them in silver too.
DSCF2223_zps27bc1191.jpg

Looks like the one I put on my 81... ordered from partsnmore... installed and worked fine... Broke the switch somehow and installed pressure sensor banjo switch in the down line on the brake line splitter... I ordered the double piston model... mine did not come with gerbils kit but they carry one for it on their site..

I have no complaints yet, I grab a handful of brake and stop rapidly or ease it to a stop..seems good to me, I do take care to turn my handle bars to the left when parking, I just dont trust it to not leak but it seems solid enough so far.