1980 Standard running again

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold

Reaction score
I bought this GL1100 on Craigslist for half a grand. PO had crashed it the morning of the sale, so was anxious to sell. I repaired the cracked windshield with clear epoxy, and the windjammer fairing with black ABS cement from Lowes hardware store. The original black paint was well worn, so I sanded, primed and painted the parts white. I ordered the yin/yang vinyl decals on line, had the checkered tape leftover from the red 1981 GL1100 Interstate I rehabbed last year. My friend helped me blow compressed air through the idle jets, so now it idles quite nicely with all the pilot screws turned out 2 and 1/4 turns. I replaced the choke cable and speedo cable with parts from Canyon Honda here in Idaho. I cut 2" off the top of the windshield with my scroll saw, so now it is 19" tall and I can see over it. Also, in the front view, you can see how I painted checkers in grey and white on backside of the windshield to conceal (from a distance) the big expoxied crack across the bottom. My next job is to rebuild the shock and fork seals. The springs are saggy, but I'll leave them that way because my legs are short and it keeps the bike low.

Attachments

• Whitewing.JPG
    Whitewing.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 228
  • CheckeredWing.JPG
    CheckeredWing.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 231
:good: :eek:k: :clapping:
Great job on the rehab! Another Classic back on da road! :thanks:

Thanks for your support. I need advice on how to make the bike stop faster. I squeeze the front brake hard and stomp on the rear brake, but it doesn't stop very fast. What can I do to shorten my stopping distance?

Arnold":1yaahdc5 said:
Thanks for your support. I need advice on how to make the bike stop faster. I squeeze the front brake hard and stomp on the rear brake, but it doesn't stop very fast. What can I do to shorten my stopping distance?
Hmmmmmm.....that should be enough? If I do that on mine, the rear wheel will lock up and the front end dives real hard....but I stop real fast. Are you sure the pads or rotors are not glazed? Are all of the cailpers working correctly? Check the wear on the pads....if one pad is worn more than the other (per caliper) than the caliper is not working correctly.

brakes i hate brake problems ...its never easy ....its never what you think ....i hate working with brake fuid .... :rant: :whip: i dont think im helping just expressing my mode everytime im into them :cheeky:

but to be quite honest its probably best to go through the brake system on this unknown bike and bring it up to par ...the single piston brakes like you have are much easier to go through than others .....if the bikes running good and up to par its worth going through the brakes also :mrgreen:

If the pads look even and rotors look okay. I'd try bleeding them. Try this first. If the front brake lever can be pulled all the way to the grip. Do that and tie it there. Leave it that way at least overnight. A full day is better. Then try the brake. holding the brake open like that often allows any air in the lines to migrate up to the master and out.

Easiest way for me is an angle grinder with 100 grit or a bit finer. The rotors are quite hard and if you keep moving it's hard to damage them.

Nice job.As for the brakes something aint jeehawing.Everyone I've had would almost do stoppies with the front,and lock up the rear.And both together would stop on a dime and give change back.I'd go thru the brakes.Better safe than sorry.Cages like to test your brakes.

Glazed rotor's, I noticed a huge difference in my rear brake after I washed the rotor with soap and water using a scotchbrite pad, then I sprayed it after I dried it with brake cleaner and dried it well...New pads and it operated much better same with the front brakes...Maybe new brake lines may help you as well, sure can't hurt anything.. :yes: Fine fine sand paper works to to clean up the rotors and soap and water..

littlebeaver":b49dazki said:
Glazed rotor's, I noticed a huge difference in my rear brake after I washed the rotor with soap and water using a scotchbrite pad, then I sprayed it after I dried it with brake cleaner and dried it well...New pads and it operated much better same with the front brakes...Maybe new brake lines may help you as well, sure can't hurt anything.. :yes: Fine fine sand paper works to to clean up the rotors and soap and water..
I knew someone had a way that included elbow grease and the blood sacrafice. :good: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts