1982 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slabghost":36p1oe39 said:
Put the bike on the centerstand and a block under the front of the bike to lift the front tire off the ground and you can spin the wheel. If you hear the noise you might be able to identify the source. If not you could disconnect the speedometer cable. If this stops the noise it's probably the cable itself needs lubed. If noise persists it may be the drive. Spray white lithium grease might get in far enough to lube the drive. To remove the drive the front wheel must be removed.

Thanks for trying to help a total mechanical newbie like myself. Where would I place the block to lift the front wheel off the ground? I would really like to spin the front wheel to id the location of the chirping noise.
Thanks Again
Simba

Jack and block will work. As will a volunteer sitting on the back of the seat if they are heavy enough. Child volunteers are not recommended. Telling your significant other "You're heavy enough" is not recommended either.

slabghost":f3fii61i said:
Jack and block will work. As will a volunteer sitting on the back of the seat if they are heavy enough. Child volunteers are not recommended. Telling your significant other "You're heavy enough" is not recommended either.

jack and a block it is.
Thanks for everybody's help.
I will need electrical help for adding turn signals next week.
Simba

I do mine a little different, you know that engine guard, well I slip a jackstand under each side close or next to the frame, one man process.. Just make an adjustment on the stand raise the front and slide it under... :smilie_happy: If you like the way your doing it by all means block that sucker, I just wanted to share how I do it...Maybe someone will read it and try it out...

slabghost":2obgqh3d said:

Telling your significant other "You're heavy enough" is not recommended either.

Never, ever forget this rule. :smilie_happy: :yahoo: :mrgreen:

GILLT":23edfgry said:
slabghost":23edfgry said:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

iF YOU HAVE A MOTORCYCLE JACK YOU JUST PLACE IT UNDER THE BIKEBACK JUST IN FRONT OF THE CENTER STAND AND ALL THE WAY UNDER THE FRAME AND JUST JACK THE WHOLE BIKE UP. YOU COULD NEED TO GREASE THE FRONT WHEEL SHAFT IF IT HAS SET FOR A LONG THME THE GREASE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ON THE SHAFT (BOLT)

GILLT":2xhdkf9g said:
slabghost":2xhdkf9g said:

:music: :music: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :music: :music: :smilie_happy:

toytender01":19dl05hr said:
iF YOU HAVE A MOTORCYCLE JACK YOU JUST PLACE IT UNDER THE BIKEBACK JUST IN FRONT OF THE CENTER STAND AND ALL THE WAY UNDER THE FRAME AND JUST JACK THE WHOLE BIKE UP. YOU COULD NEED TO GREASE THE FRONT WHEEL SHAFT IF IT HAS SET FOR A LONG THME THE GREASE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ON THE SHAFT (BOLT)

Thanks---I will find out from you how exactly to do this. First I need to ID where this chirping at low speed (synchronous with wheel rotation) is coming from. Weekend project.

I would never dare say to my wife that I need someone heavy to sit on the back of the bike. She would give away all the bikes for free. I am not kidding. But between us she would be perfect for this task.

Simba

toytender01":13c3oggg said:

Thanks All.

I got the front tire off the ground (used a cement block and a piece of wood)---I said to wife I am heavy enough to raise the wheel while she slides the wood in place. ALL GOOD.

I could duplicate the chirping sound when turning the wheel, but not where precisely. Out came WD40. I liberally sprayed it everywhere including the brake pads (real dumb--I know). Took the bike out for a ride.

NO CHIRPING SOUND AT ALL but the front brakes lost braking power by about 20-30%. I had to ride a little slowly in the neighborhood. So the brake pads must have been the squickers. I am hoping to regain front braking power soon.

Now on to adding turning signals. Any advice will be appreciated. I will start a new thread, but here is where I stand now. I got a set of LED turn signals from Ebay and an LED compatible flasher from autozone.

I have bright continous light when using the old stock flasher but very dim light when using the new (led compatible) flasher. Either way the light is continous and not flashing. I am going to pick some non LED turn signals and see what happens. I have all sorts of stores locally including Harbor Freight if anybody can give me advice.

Thanks
Simba

Spray carb cleaner liberally on the brake pads and clean them off. Let them dry completely before riding. Non flashing signal lights can be from bad ground or bad bulb or bad flasher unit. With the new electronic flasher installed I suggest you check the bulbs and wiring connections.

On my '82, when the front fairing is off and the trun signals are not connected, the flasher stays on and will not flash. Reconnect eveything and they work fine. Be sure all 4 turn signal lights are connected correctly with a good ground or they will not flash.

mcgovern61":7cirxap7 said:
On my '82, when the front fairing is off and the trun signals are not connected, the flasher stays on and will not flash. Reconnect eveything and they work fine. Be sure all 4 turn signal lights are connected correctly with a good ground or they will not flash.

Please help:
1.Currently, when I turn the turn signal switch to either side (R or L) the panel turn signal lights up appropriately, but does not flash (there are no turn signals).
2. I have verified there is power coming to the flasher via a black wire.
3. When I take the flasher out the panel turn indicator lights don't light up.

I am therefore assuming that the turn signal slider switch is working.

CAN I connect four non-LED turn signal lights directly to the other pole of the flasher (I will buy a new flasher even the one I have seems to be conducting okay)? There is a whole bunch of wires behind the front headlight. Please tell me what the color code for the R/L turn signals are? I have downloaded a circuit diagram but I am having trouble decoding it.

I will be heading out to Harbor Freight to pick up a new flasher/four regular 12V turn lights. My new LED compatible flasher (something 28) is dimming the LED light.

I hope I made sense in my questions,

Thanks Everybody
Simba

Latest posts