1982 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell All,
Rear fender painted and more rust reformer here and there.
I am still working on all the emblems and will put them back shortly.
Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• cropped3photo.JPG
    cropped3photo.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Rphoto.JPG
    Rphoto.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 288
Wow, that's looking a lot better! I would have kept the trunk bars chrome, but it's 'your" rebuild. :cool: The pipes came out very nice.

~O~

edit - I think I'll paint my rear floorboards black like yours, it will look good with my black bike.

Thanks All,

The bike looks decent, I am happy with it. I may add glossy black two tone later. I get bored with paint quickly. Not too many warm days left here in Michigan.

The pipes look decent as well. But the engine looks very old with fading and minor pitting. I have never painted an engine before. I would like to do this next without taking the engine off the bike. i can mask like crazy if needed. Any advice?

Thanks again for your kind words.

Simba

So that's what mine would look like naked :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: I like it and also the paint , put a big Steeler emblem on the tank and side covers and it would fit right in here in N.Western, Pa. :good: :good: :good: Again I like that look
What kinda paint did you use on your pipes ?? and how far down did you take the pipes (chrome) to get the paint to stay ??
Winger 82 :hi:

Winger 82":980hefkq said:
So that's what mine would look like naked :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: I like it and also the paint , put a big Steeler emblem on the tank and side covers and it would fit right in here in N.Western, Pa. :good: :good: :good: Again I like that look
What kinda paint did you use on your pipes ?? and how far down did you take the pipes (chrome) to get the paint to stay ??
Winger 82 :hi:

The pipes were badly rusted. I started sanding but it was not helping. I used Rust-oleum rust reformer first followed by Rust-oleum BBQ grill paint. No flaking over the last few days. Also, it really looks like the paint will hold.

I love Steeler colors. Go for it. I actually will two tone with black later.

Simba

simbaboy":1vnqqw2f said:
But the engine looks very old with fading and minor pitting. I have never painted an engine before. I would like to do this next without taking the engine off the bike. i can mask like crazy if needed. Any advice?

Simba
Yes you can paint the engine on the bike. Remove the carbs and mask anything you do not want painted. Duplicolor aluminum gray engine paint is the same as the original color. I painted mine after a good cleaning:

viewtopic.php?p=4403#p4403

mcgovern61":277c6fo2 said:
simbaboy":277c6fo2 said:
But the engine looks very old with fading and minor pitting. I have never painted an engine before. I would like to do this next without taking the engine off the bike. i can mask like crazy if needed. Any advice?

Simba
Yes you can paint the engine on the bike. Remove the carbs and mask anything you do not want painted. Duplicolor aluminum gray engine paint is the same as the original color. I painted mine after a good cleaning:

viewtopic.php?p=4403#p4403

Thanks for the advice---do the carbs have to be taken out? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can't I just mask those too?
Simba

simbaboy":1bo6edd4 said:
Thanks for the advice---do the carbs have to be taken out? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can't I just mask those too?Simba
No such thing as a stupid question around here! You can leave the carbs in if you like, but how would you get the paint under them without loading up? Plus, by the time you mask everything on the carbs that should not get painted, it is easier (and faster) to just pull them.

if your uncomfortable with taking carbs off then it might be best to do it by masking ...but if you have done it before or think you can its probably easier........you certainly dont have to though.....carbs can be rough the first few times for sure

I remember scratching my head a few times when I first pulled those things out, I also revisited a few forgotten vocabulary words :shock:

littlebeaver":ataajn7t said:
I remember scratching my head a few times when I first pulled those things out, I also revisited a few forgotten vocabulary words :shock:

Paint I can (pardon the pun) but anything major mechanical--I know my limits.

On my old Honda Twinstar I had gone for a ride. I realized the bike was not running well. I came back home and attempted to replace the spark plugs--they were somewhat hard coming off. Before you know it I had stripped the threads and local mechanics did not wanna touch it. It was a big mistake that cost me time, money, and most importantly I was without a bike when I was just starting out. I had to go out and buy a Yamaha Virago while the Honda was getting fixed. The Virago had so much more power that I got addicted to motorcycles. Within a couple of weeks I bought a Yamaha V-Star. Trying to change spark plugs led to an amazing addiction to motorcycles. Trying to pull out the carbs and I will be looking at buying a whole fleet of Goldwings---NO THANKS. My wife would kill me. I recently suggested that her car be parked outside the garage while I was working on my GL1100. The look I got.

What would a qualified mechanic that I trust charge to pull out the whole engine, etc so I can paint it and then he could re-install it? I will not pull the carbs out, I will not pull the carbs, I will not..... I swear I would not take a bet right now for me to even identify where the carbs are on my GL1100. I am not kidding.

Paint I can.
Simba

simbaboy":3hutn56y said:
littlebeaver":3hutn56y said:

Paint I can (pardon the pun) but anything major mechanical--I know my limits.

On my old Honda Twinstar I had gone for a ride. I realized the bike was not running well. I came back home and attempted to replace the spark plugs--they were somewhat hard coming off. Before you know it I had stripped the threads and local mechanics did not wanna touch it. It was a big mistake that cost me time, money, and most importantly I was without a bike when I was just starting out. I had to go out and buy a Yamaha Virago while the Honda was getting fixed. The Virago had so much more power that I got addicted to motorcycles. Within a couple of weeks I bought a Yamaha V-Star. Trying to change spark plugs led to an amazing addiction to motorcycles. Trying to pull out the carbs and I will be looking at buying a whole fleet of Goldwings---NO THANKS. My wife would kill me. I recently suggested that her car be parked outside the garage while I was working on my GL1100. The look I got.

What would a qualified mechanic that I trust charge to pull out the whole engine, etc so I can paint it and then he could re-install it? I will not pull the carbs out, I will not pull the carbs, I will not..... I swear I would not take a bet right now for me to even identify where the carbs are on my GL1100. I am not kidding.

Paint I can.
Simba
Well Simbaboy, at some point your going to have to pull those carbs and when you do there are so many guy's here that can help you, as far as painting the engine, you can do a great job without removing it I'm sure...We probably need a Carb video guy's what do you think? Maybe someone will make a video guy's what do you think... I shall be the first to request a video..Please.. :smilie_happy: first time I changed out my plugs on my Nomad I was scared to death, when I put them back in, I swear I was nervous, I used an extension and hand turned it until the plug stopped, then I put the wratchet on it and gave it a slight tighten and that was it.. I do the 1100 the same tighten but with just a bump...Aluminum :shock:

Well Simbaboy, at some point your going to have to pull those carbs and when you do there are so many guy's here that can help you, as far as painting the engine, you can do a great job without removing it I'm sure...We probably need a Carb video guy's what do you think? Maybe someone will make a video guy's what do you think... I shall be the first to request a video..Please.. :smilie_happy: first time I changed out my plugs on my Nomad I was scared to death, when I put them back in, I swear I was nervous, I used an extension and hand turned it until the plug stopped, then I put the wratchet on it and gave it a slight tighten and that was it.. I do the 1100 the same tighten but with just a bump...Aluminum :shock:[/quote]

You are right.

Anyhow, just came from a ride. Bike runs excellent. I noticed a bird chirping sound at about 20-30MPH that was coming from about the front wheel area. It seemed in sync with the wheel rotation. I wonder if something is rubbing against the tire/wheel/fender?

I got about 38MPG while running crazy fast with multiple fast/slow streches. Is this okay? I really was running it hard and not trying to conserve gas. All the gas so far has gotten ATF treatment, but I am thinking of cutting back to 1-2 ounces ATF per tank. What do you guys think?

How about black high heat engine paint to most easily reachable areas after appropriate masking?

I love my 82GL1100. It has become my fun ride. I probably won't use it for long distance cruising (at least not yet), but I love the power and smoothness it has. My V-Star has floor boards and wind shield that makes distance cruising very comfortable. Man, it is quite cool already in Michigan. The GL1100's radiator fan rarely comes on and temp gauge never exceeds halfway.

Thanks,
Simba

Chirp may be from the speedomenter drive. Mileage sounds good. Engine paint on an engine? What a novel idea! :smilie_happy: Yes I like the look of these motors blacked out. :salute:

slabghost":323n4sd3 said:
Chirp may be from the speedomenter drive. Mileage sounds good. Engine paint on an engine? What a novel idea! :smilie_happy: Yes I like the look of these motors blacked out. :salute:

thanks---is something that I can easily test out or clean?
Thanks
Simba

Put the bike on the centerstand and a block under the front of the bike to lift the front tire off the ground and you can spin the wheel. If you hear the noise you might be able to identify the source. If not you could disconnect the speedometer cable. If this stops the noise it's probably the cable itself needs lubed. If noise persists it may be the drive. Spray white lithium grease might get in far enough to lube the drive. To remove the drive the front wheel must be removed.

Latest posts