1983 Ford F-250 (Gasser) Starter Solenoid Mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Alright - I’ve had enough with these aftermarket solenoids. Some work for people but the two I’ve bought both from EBay have been junk! SO - after reading a few different posts on different forums, I went ahead and did a bit of experimenting and here’s what I’ve got. She still won’t fire over but I’m better off than I was before because NOW I know she is spinning over the way I want her too! Compression test is next! Here’s the quick how to on the modification.

First off - Go to your local auto parts store and buy a Starter Solenoid for a 1983 Ford F-250 Gasser. Preferably one with the 5.0 motor. The Solenoid looks like this.

Make sure to grab a 30amp in line ATC fuse too - you’re gonna need it for this install!

Secondly - you’re gonna have to cut the OE Solenoid plug off your bike. I used 10g AWG copper wire to splice in the connectors in different colors. NOW BEFORE someone goes and gets their panties in a bunch, I left it wired like it is to show what goes where. I have to have a custom length starter cable made to make this a permanent install

Once you have the wires cut unbox your solenoid and it fits REALLY nicely right behind where the bolt hole or whatever it is sits for the main part of the drivers seat. I used a small drill bit and a couple of large self tapping screws and waterproof circular terminal connectors for the wires. Worked perfect to hold the solenoid down to the frame of the bike and works good for the ground as that is through the top of the solenoid.

NOW - These solenoids have 4 terminals on them. Here’s where the wiring comes into play. Your OE plug should have a Solid Red, Red with White Tracer, Yellow with Red Tracer and Green with Red Tracer. You’re not going to use all 4 terminals on the solenoid so don’t over think this! Where it’s mounted on the left side you’ll do the following connections.

Red plus Red/White - Connect them together, use a Yellow 10-12g Weather proof butt connector; crimp that sucker tight with the two aforementioned wires twisted together on one end! Then melt the heat shrink around the two red wires. Next take the inline fuse and crimp one end of it into the end of the connector which has the two red wires and repeat the “melting” process of the butt connector.

That ties up the left larger terminal. THEN - get some 8 or 6 gauge power wire for an aftermarket amp and add two circular connector terminals to it. Make it long enough to reach from that left terminal which has the connection above to the positive post on your battery. DO NOT hook that one up yet but go ahead and use a 13mm wrench to cinch down those two wires on the left side of the solenoid. Leave it free from the battery!!

Next connection is the Yellow/Red Tracer wire. I used the blue circular terminal connector thing (gotta love technological terminology here!!) to a piece of 12g grey wire. This connection goes to the “S” post on the solenoid, simple enough! Hook it up!

Last connection on the solenoid itself is the right side. THIS IS THE SIDE WHICH NEEDS THICKER WIRE than what I have but it’s shown here just to show how to wire it. It will be replaced! You’ll need to use that same 8 or 6g power wire and two circular terminals to it. Connect one side to the right post, 13mm Wrench again and tighten that sucker down! THEN remove your factory starter cable, save it just in case and route the wire from the right terminal on the solenoid through the frame down to the post on your starter. Viola! You’re done with the connections for the most part as far as that goes, now you’ve gotta address the ground!

The Green/Red is your “floating” ground. Take that and before you even crank down the solenoid to the frame and connect it to the mounting portion of the top of the solenoid. Once it is connected then take and run another piece of 10-12g wire again with the circular terminals down to the negative post of your battery. I hit this with a multimeter and I’m not losing any voltage or have a parasitic draw so don’t stress it. Make sure it’s tightened down, use the self tappers and get that solenoid so it won’t move an inch.

That’s it folks - one hell of an explanation for a VERY VERY simple process but hopefully it’ll help someone out! I have an extra ground on the right side just because if I wanted to use it for an accessory I’ve got it.

Here’s the final product

And the video showing the old girl spinning over!

https://youtu.be/IJfZm8EolWQ

This SHOULD last a lot longer than an OE or aftermarket solenoid too.
Enjoy - now to work on some other part and hopefully she will fire!
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan filipi":1fuo2vrs said:
Spins great, but you have 0 compression.

That’s next - compression check and see if I’ve got that problem or a fuel delivery problem. The pump totally stopped ticking all together even when starting so I think the pump isn’t working the way it needs to. Going to go after an OE fuel pump unless I can figure out the specs and get an aftermarket low pressure one to work ha!
Nate

Dadster":4xdslog8 said:
Check power to the pump?

It’s got juice - no flow. Not a surprise for a 12 dollar fleabay purchase [emoji849][emoji849]

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210976#p210976:2jwhlyz8 said:
TheRepoGuy » Today, 4:07 pm[/url]":2jwhlyz8]
dan filipi":2jwhlyz8 said:

That’s next - compression check and see if I’ve got that problem or a fuel delivery problem. The pump totally stopped ticking all together even when starting so I think the pump isn’t working the way it needs to. Going to go after an OE fuel pump unless I can figure out the specs and get an aftermarket low pressure one to work ha!
Nate
Guess I didn’t explain it well enough. That engine spins over fast, and sounds like the spark plugs aren’t even installed....in other words, the engine has NO (0) compression. Likely bent valves. There’s no way it will ever start this way.

dan filipi":25pc2zhz said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210976#p210976:25pc2zhz said:
TheRepoGuy » Today, 4:07 pm[/url]":25pc2zhz]
dan filipi":25pc2zhz said:

Nate
Guess I didn’t explain it well enough. That engine spins over fast, and sounds like the spark plugs aren’t even installed....in other words, the engine has NO (0) compression. Likely bent valves. There’s no way it will ever start this way.

If it is then I’ll find out when I run the check hopefully in the next day or so. Replacing the heads isn’t a huge issue if I need to, I’ve got a spare motor...Compression is still next on my list regardless then I’ll know for sure what my issue is.
Nate

It's also a possibility that the hydro lifters need to pump up. That happened to me a couple times on one 1200 motor I worked on.....after cranking it a lot in short bursts with no start up, the hydro lifters collapsed which meant the valves weren't opening and closing like they need to. The lifters did start to "pump up" within 30 seconds of cranking and it started.

Still won’t know much until a compression test is completed unfortunately. I don’t want to pull the heads off just yet until I know that’s what she needs.
Nate

Thing is, with these hydro lifters...and if collapsed like I mentioned, the compression will read low like there's a problem when there may not be a problem.

Compression readings will be interesting to have for reference either way.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210980#p210980:qde0glzq said:
TheRepoGuy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 pm[/url]":qde0glzq]
Dadster":qde0glzq said:
Check power to the pump?

It’s got juice - no flow. Not a surprise for a 12 dollar fleabay purchase [emoji849][emoji849]

Pull the output hose to double check. It could be blocked and built up pressure.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210972#p210972:j15k6sg1 said:
TheRepoGuy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am[/url]":j15k6sg1]
Alright - I’ve had enough with these aftermarket solenoids. Some work for people but the two I’ve bought both from EBay have been junk! SO - after reading a few different posts on different forums, I went ahead and did a bit of experimenting and here’s what I’ve got. She still won’t fire over but I’m better off than I was before because NOW I know she is spinning over the way I want her too! Compression test is next! Here’s the quick how to on the modification.

First off - Go to your local auto parts store and buy a Starter Solenoid for a 1983 Ford F-250 Gasser. Preferably one with the 5.0 motor. The Solenoid looks like this.
What Ford part lasts more than 30 years? :smilie_happy:

Make sure to grab a 30amp in line ATC fuse too - you’re gonna need it for this install!

Secondly - you’re gonna have to cut the OE Solenoid plug off your bike. I used 10g AWG copper wire to splice in the connectors in different colors. NOW BEFORE someone goes and gets their panties in a bunch, I left it wired like it is to show what goes where. I have to have a custom length starter cable made to make this a permanent install

Once you have the wires cut unbox your solenoid and it fits REALLY nicely right behind where the bolt hole or whatever it is sits for the main part of the drivers seat. I used a small drill bit and a couple of large self tapping screws and waterproof circular terminal connectors for the wires. Worked perfect to hold the solenoid down to the frame of the bike and works good for the ground as that is through the top of the solenoid.

NOW - These solenoids have 4 terminals on them. Here’s where the wiring comes into play. Your OE plug should have a Solid Red, Red with White Tracer, Yellow with Red Tracer and Green with Red Tracer. You’re not going to use all 4 terminals on the solenoid so don’t over think this! Where it’s mounted on the left side you’ll do the following connections.

Red plus Red/White - Connect them together, use a Yellow 10-12g Weather proof butt connector; crimp that sucker tight with the two aforementioned wires twisted together on one end! Then melt the heat shrink around the two red wires. Next take the inline fuse and crimp one end of it into the end of the connector which has the two red wires and repeat the “melting” process of the butt connector.

That ties up the left larger terminal. THEN - get some 8 or 6 gauge power wire for an aftermarket amp and add two circular connector terminals to it. Make it long enough to reach from that left terminal which has the connection above to the positive post on your battery. DO NOT hook that one up yet but go ahead and use a 13mm wrench to cinch down those two wires on the left side of the solenoid. Leave it free from the battery!!

Next connection is the Yellow/Red Tracer wire. I used the blue circular terminal connector thing (gotta love technological terminology here!!) to a piece of 12g grey wire. This connection goes to the “S” post on the solenoid, simple enough! Hook it up!

Last connection on the solenoid itself is the right side. THIS IS THE SIDE WHICH NEEDS THICKER WIRE than what I have but it’s shown here just to show how to wire it. It will be replaced! You’ll need to use that same 8 or 6g power wire and two circular terminals to it. Connect one side to the right post, 13mm Wrench again and tighten that sucker down! THEN remove your factory starter cable, save it just in case and route the wire from the right terminal on the solenoid through the frame down to the post on your starter. Viola! You’re done with the connections for the most part as far as that goes, now you’ve gotta address the ground!

The Green/Red is your “floating” ground. Take that and before you even crank down the solenoid to the frame and connect it to the mounting portion of the top of the solenoid. Once it is connected then take and run another piece of 10-12g wire again with the circular terminals down to the negative post of your battery. I hit this with a multimeter and I’m not losing any voltage or have a parasitic draw so don’t stress it. Make sure it’s tightened down, use the self tappers and get that solenoid so it won’t move an inch.

That’s it folks - one hell of an explanation for a VERY VERY simple process but hopefully it’ll help someone out! I have an extra ground on the right side just because if I wanted to use it for an accessory I’ve got it.

Here’s the final product

And the video showing the old girl spinning over!

https://youtu.be/IJfZm8EolWQ

This SHOULD last a lot longer than an OE or aftermarket solenoid too.
Enjoy - now to work on some other part and hopefully she will fire!
Nate

Latest posts