1983 GL1100i Front End Wobble

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk8

Reaction score
Front end wobbles (that word seems a lot goofier in print) at low speed, particularly during a left-hand turn. After an average test ride (~20-30mins), the left front rotor was warm to the touch, the right front rotor was completely cool. I pulled both calipers and their respective pistons, cleaned all the pistons with steel wool and the calipers with Q-Tips and paper towels. Reassembled everything (I attempted to reuse the old seals :doh:), bled the brakes and took a 20 min test ride and came back to find that the left front rotor had gone from getting warm, to getting HOT. No real change in the status of the right front rotor nor the front end wobble. The best way to describe what I’m feeling, is either that it’s like riding on ice, or with a really sloppy front axle.
So this is really two questions I guess:

1. What have I done to my brakes? :head bang:
2. What do I need to do for this wobble? :help:

Not sure about the brakes since they link to the rear , could be wheel bearings, and the wobble could be a slightly loose steering nut, something like 10Lbs is needed on the steering nut, they do settle a little after install and thousands of miles.
Or maybe bearing could solve all issues.

could be old tire that sat to long in one spot and on a angle ...and causes tire to move away from center of rim as it position....brakes can be lines full of crap ...like old rubber hose the lines are made of ...a good flush can clear that sometimes whem new lines are out of the ?....

Wow, my friend (oldhondajamie) told me people were impressively quick around here, but still I'm shocked to see just how quick. I appreciate all the feedback and will look into all these things as the month progresses...I'll post results when I get this kink worked out!

Left front brake is operated by the right front handlebar lever. Right front brake is connected to the rear master cylinder. So...if you don't use the foot brake much, then the left front does all the work and the right front stays cool. At least in theory, but if the piston is sticking/dragging on the left front then that is causing the extra heat.

I had a deceleration wobble on my '83 aspencade that happened around 35-40 mph. The head bearings seemed tight enough and a new tire fixed it right away, even though the front tire looked good and was balanced well, go figure. My other bike developed a wobble that was caused by the head bearings being noticeably loose.

Good chance the front end has at least one or two issues. But the tires are the first thing to inspect, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, are among those a little later, then tear the forks apart to replace oil, & seals if leaking, check bushings & wear parts as well as the springs. Not as bad as it sounds, & not any of it that hard & the results will please you when your done. You have to remember how old these bikes are, & chances are not very much has been done as far as maintaining them, so you have to play catch up. Timing belts need changed A S A P as a broken belt is not a good thing, water pump probably needs replaced as well as brake, clutch, & other fluids.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159899#p159899:3b05ze9u said:
kerryb » Yesterday, 3:05 pm[/url]":3b05ze9u]
Left front brake is operated by the right front handlebar lever. Right front brake is connected to the rear master cylinder. So...if you don't use the foot brake much, then the left front does all the work and the right front stays cool. At least in theory, but if the piston is sticking/dragging on the left front then that is causing the extra heat.

I had a deceleration wobble on my '83 aspencade that happened around 35-40 mph. The head bearings seemed tight enough and a new tire fixed it right away, even though the front tire looked good and was balanced well, go figure. My other bike developed a wobble that was caused by the head bearings being noticeably loose.
That's a hopeful prospect; I've heard a few people say that about the tire now, certainly worth looking into as a next step. Thanks man

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159925#p159925:2p2uup1y said:
Denver » Yesterday, 5:06 pm[/url]":2p2uup1y]
Good chance the front end has at least one or two issues. But the tires are the first thing to inspect, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, are among those a little later, then tear the forks apart to replace oil, & seals if leaking, check bushings & wear parts as well as the springs. Not as bad as it sounds, & not any of it that hard & the results will please you when your done. You have to remember how old these bikes are, & chances are not very much has been done as far as maintaining them, so you have to play catch up. Timing belts need changed A S A P as a broken belt is not a good thing, water pump probably needs replaced as well as brake, clutch, & other fluids.
That's AWESOME. :mrgreen: Great list to get me started in giving this old girl some new life.

You'll do fine, :salute: relaxing, paying attention, & laughing at my screw ups, works for me. :smilie_happy: :builder:Gotta have a good time, :whistling: we'll all be dead soon enough :hihihi:Maybe for a long time! :thank_you: