1983 interstate 1100 goldwing manual

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get a owners manual and or repair/service manual? i was told from another site that this site has them. I did a search and cannot find. However... saw some how to's i think i will be learning alot from this site... :thanks:

I mentioned in your intro thread, you need to make 5 posts in any topic or thread and you'll have access to all our tech manuals. We had people joining and never posting just to get to our manuals hence the 5 post minimum.

~O~

As an added bonus if you tell us what the problems are we probably can help you track an fix them from first hand experience. Sure beats trial and error.

ok... here are some things...

1) choke doesn't stay out when i pull it out... it snaps back in when i let go...
2) sometimes the shifter doesn't disengage and when i wrote it one night... i got stranded 4 blocks from my house... cuz it didn't disengage and tehn i couldn't get it into nuetral and i couldn't push it... had a buddy come and he brought a roll car jack and put it on the back tire and we pushed it up his trailer...
then i got home and after several attempts it finally disengaged out of 1st gear... adn now im affraid to take it incase it won't disengage again.
3) im leaking fuel cuz i see like a rainbow when i got stranded that time in the rain and it smelled like gas...
4) i also know think the throttle that there is something wrong... i can spin the throttle both ways... it doesn't have like a stop like some of the bikes i looked at at a dealer... to see how it is suppose to be....

sorry.. but thats a few.... and agian... i am inept at mechanical things.. my wife calls me "Tim the tool man taylor" if you get that... :help:

src68":1gp1zqc4 said:
ok... here are some things...

1) choke doesn't stay out when i pull it out... it snaps back in when i let go...
2) sometimes the shifter doesn't disengage and when i wrote it one night... i got stranded 4 blocks from my house... cuz it didn't disengage and tehn i couldn't get it into nuetral and i couldn't push it... had a buddy come and he brought a roll car jack and put it on the back tire and we pushed it up his trailer...
then i got home and after several attempts it finally disengaged out of 1st gear... adn now im affraid to take it incase it won't disengage again.
3) im leaking fuel cuz i see like a rainbow when i got stranded that time in the rain and it smelled like gas...
4) i also know think the throttle that there is something wrong... i can spin the throttle both ways... it doesn't have like a stop like some of the bikes i looked at at a dealer... to see how it is suppose to be....

sorry.. but thats a few.... and agian... i am inept at mechanical things.. my wife calls me "Tim the tool man taylor" if you get that... :help:
1) Lets start with the choke...there is a nut where the choke cable passes through the handle bars. Tighten it a touch and the choke should stop snapping back.

2)Add 10 oz of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to your oil and get your engine comepletely warmed up (I mean like let the fan come on at least 4 times) then drop your oil out while it is hot. Change the oil to 10w40 and run it again. Work your clutch in and out while holding your throttle at 3000 RPMs. Go back to idle and see if it is still hard to get in gear. More than likely, your clutch is gummed up. (Might be due to replace the plates)

3) Leaking gas is never good! The floats on the carbs are most likely not adjusted and the gas is leaking while you are sitting. (Careful because it may be leaking into your crankcase...gas and oil don't mix and could also be a the problem with your clutch). Close your gas petcock (left side of bike) whenever it is truned off.

4) Could be someone removed the other cable. Look through the left side of the engine at the back where the carb throttle control is and see if there are two cable attached (one at the top and one at the bottom) If two are there, one is out of adjustment or broken.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

I'm trying to think how the clutch could cause shifting to stick but can't.
If the engine is off and clutch out, getting into neutral is easy on level ground.
I'd be more suspect of a linkage problem.

Do you have a heel/toe shifter?

dan filipi":3czbh5ay said:
I'm trying to think how the clutch could cause shifting to stick but can't.
If the engine is off and clutch out, getting into neutral is easy on level ground.
I'd be more suspect of a linkage problem.

Do you have a heel/toe shifter?

No.. just toe shifter. the guy who helped me load it and bring it back to my garage said it had to do with the shifter he thought... the clutch was working fine.. he thought.... not forsure.. but that was his opinion....

McGovern61: the choke screw worked>> it stays out when i pull it out... !!! whoo hoo... thx.. im phyched to try the other suggestions on the other probs.... i am going out there right now....

and thx for all the other suggestions from everyone. it gives me confidence if someone tells me what to do, and then i can just follow directions and do it...

will let you know how the rest turns out..

thx again all>>>>> :party:

I just reread your problem with the shifting. You say you could not push the bike. Did you try to push the bike with the clutch in?

If you tried with the clutch in and the bike still would not roll, then it's not a shifter problem, it's a clutch problem.

Flinx":197ebv95 said:
I just reread your problem with the shifting. You say you could not push the bike. Did you try to push the bike with the clutch in?

If you tried with the clutch in and the bike still would not roll, then it's not a shifter problem, it's a clutch problem.

yes... the clutch was in.... so why would that be a clutch problem and not a shifter prob???

that proves that the clutch is not disengaging it dont mater if the transmission was locked up it sould still move with the clutch in ...this is much better news than tans mission problem

Yes but even if the clutch was completely frozen it should still come out of gear by rocking the bike back and forth a bit to take pressure off the gears and let them move.

I hope it's clutch, a much easier repair but from what I understood in the original post it would not shift out of gear.
This tells me something is wrong forward of the clutch in the shifter mechanism.

so then what do i need to do?? im sure you probably saying "replace the clutch" well what part of it... jsut the handle? etc....

In your original post you said

sometimes the shifter doesn't disengage and when i wrote it one night... i got stranded 4 blocks from my house... cuz it didn't disengage and tehn i couldn't get it into nuetral and i couldn't push it...
then i got home and after several attempts it finally disengaged out of 1st gear...

Did you have it running while trying to get it into neutral or was the engine off?
Your answer will help source the problem.

had it running... and then when i shut it off and then it wouldn't start after 5 times tryng to get it to start... then it was off and it was still in gear and clutch in and still wouldn't disengage.... so to answer your question... both... in beg. it engine was running... and later engine was not running... both ways... couldn't get out of 1st gear back to neutral.... with clutch in....

Has this bike been sitting for a long time?
That would explain the clutch not disengaging because it could be gummed up.

Not coming out of gear when it's not running is throwing me off, that would indicate a jammed shifter mechanism.

Right now, can you go out and shift it through the gears with the engine not running?
Sit on it with the wheels on the ground. by rocking the bike slowly forward and back you should be able to shift down, then back up to neutral then up through all gears and again back down to neutral

I'd try running it on the center stand and run through the gears with the clutched pulled in.
Could be you just need to put some miles on it to free up everything, with fresh oil and filter.

Latest posts