1983 interstate 1100 goldwing manual

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds to me like the clutch cable could be stretching and getting ready to break or it broke on you. I would check that first, would hate to go thru all the troubleshooting to find it was as simple as needing a new clutch cable.

Heath

Heath":2kca7bcq said:
Sounds to me like the clutch cable could be stretching and getting ready to break or it broke on you. I would check that first, would hate to go thru all the troubleshooting to find it was as simple as needing a new clutch cable.

Heath
I agree with Heath....easy things first.

The clutch is connected at the right hand lower side of the engine at the rear. Take a look at the cable and be sure that it is not slipping from the PO (Previous Owner) tyring to adjust it (I base this on the fact that it also seems your PO may have done something with the throttle cables).

Pull the clutch handle and look to see if the cable casing is staying rigid at the stop and only the cable is moving AND the clutch lever is actually moving up and down.

dan filipi":kwb5fxkv said:
Has this bike been sitting for a long time?
That would explain the clutch not disengaging because it could be gummed up.

Not coming out of gear when it's not running is throwing me off, that would indicate a jammed shifter mechanism.

Right now, can you go out and shift it through the gears with the engine not running?
Sit on it with the wheels on the ground. by rocking the bike slowly forward and back you should be able to shift down, then back up to neutral then up through all gears and again back down to neutral

I'd try running it on the center stand and run through the gears with the clutched pulled in.
Could be you just need to put some miles on it to free up everything, with fresh oil and filter.

sometimes it does.. just like sometimes it does when riding.. and then sometimes it doens't.... i tried it just now... and no go...

oh and yes.. .sat for over a year before i bought it then a year after i bought it ... cuz didn't have my license yet....

Heath":1qhtqdaz said:

Heath

and how can i tell that? i engage the clutch and not by the handle bar.. but the other end it lifts this lever connected to something under the bike... but it barely moves it... i dont' know how much it is suppose to move it.. but it barely does... thats all i know.. .sorry..

clutch isobviously the first place to go here ....tat lever moves alot not a litte so somthing wrong ....take that clutch cover off if you can ....this starting to sound lik an engine out deal ....its not as bad as some make it out to be tho ...ive heard of some that can do amazing things without taking the motor out not me my hands are like clubs :builder: :mrgreen:

joedrum":2hv6mshe said:
clutch isobviously the first place to go here ....tat lever moves alot not a litte so somthing wrong ....take that clutch cover off if you can ....this starting to sound lik an engine out deal ....its not as bad as some make it out to be tho ...ive heard of some that can do amazing things without taking the motor out not me my hands are like clubs :builder: :mrgreen:

i took a short vid of how much it moves when clutch is engaged.. is this to little? if so... what do i need to do to correct>>
thx

Attachments

• DSCN2735.MOV
    5.7 KB
OK let me jump in here....Have you adjusted the free play in the clutch lever ???the lever should have a littel freeplay and then you chould feel the resistance of the clutch springs... the clutch is adjustable at both ends, the upper end at the clutch perch and the lower end on the right side of the engine....I just got back in to town and have not found my manual but i am sure someone here can provied you with that procedure...Make sure that adjustment is correct and thet the cable housing is not compressing when the clutch is pulled.

toytender01":3alt6150 said:
OK let me jump in here....Have you adjusted the free play in the clutch lever ???the lever should have a littel freeplay and then you chould feel the resistance of the clutch springs... the clutch is adjustable at both ends, the upper end at the clutch perch and the lower end on the right side of the engine....I just got back in to town and have not found my manual but i am sure someone here can provied you with that procedure...Make sure that adjustment is correct and thet the cable housing is not compressing when the clutch is pulled.

" cable housing isn't compressing" what does that exactly mean>>> i am starting to think me trying to really fix this bike up is way out of my league.... :shock:

dan filipi":1y4p2osv said:
That looks like enough to me.

Have you tried what I said earlier?

now that i have the oil filter bolt off... i am going to try running it after i put oil in. HOpe it works....