1984 1200 question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Not sure why I can’t drop this in the 1200 forum but it is what it is.
Now that my LTD is running and moving for the most part I’m moving onto a 1984 Interstate that I snagged a few weekends back. Apparently this bike has the wiring harness in it from an Aspy and not sure of what year it’s out of.

So will the Aspy wiring harness actually work for the interstate or am I completely loosing what’s left of my mind? [emoji2955]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm I'd say thete will be lots of differences ...will it or could it work yes ...but you might lose your mind doing so ...mines been gone a long time ..im fearless ..camt lose what's already gone lol

So this Interstate has an Aspy wiring harness in it already?

Is it running? Does everything work?
If not then track down why using the wiring diagram and matching up wire colors. The wire colors are usually very close to the same so I think most hookups would work with some hookups left over. There could be big differences in the ignition and fuel if the harness is from an FI model. The FI has A LOT more wiring so that should be pretty obvious.

dan filipi":qrg9du9e said:

If not then track down why using the wiring diagram and matching up wire colors. The wire colors are usually very close to the same so I think most hookups would work with some hookups left over.
That’s partially correct - it came from someone who totally stripped the bike down to the frame all the plastics were off and had a partial harness in it from a standard then a full harness off an Aspy. I think I’m just going to buy an interstate harness and get it over with honestly

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218346#p218346:c654ebqe said:
TheRepoGuy » less than a minute ago[/url]":c654ebqe]
dan filipi":c654ebqe said:

If not then track down why using the wiring diagram and matching up wire colors. The wire colors are usually very close to the same so I think most hookups would work with some hookups left over.
That’s partially correct - it came from someone who totally stripped the bike down to the frame all the plastics were off and had a partial harness in it from a standard then a full harness off an Aspy. I think I’m just going to buy an interstate harness and get it over with honestly

Yeah sounds like a real hack job. Good choice.

dan filipi":1f4zr4qh said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218346#p218346:1f4zr4qh said:
TheRepoGuy » less than a minute ago[/url]":1f4zr4qh]
dan filipi":1f4zr4qh said:

Yeah sounds like a real hack job. Good choice.
That’s an Understatement 101 [emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]
bec0fe6b19548b60255c06d17d5a758a.jpg

b27515d34c8afe4218338bc14f4195f6.jpg

Checked, and 1984 shows different part numbers for the GL1200 Aspencade and GL1200 Interstate. Not a promising sign.

I wonder what the differences are.

The Aspencade has a full digital instrument cluster. Interstate was analog. I had an 84 Aspy. Speed sensor is specific to the Aspy. There are other significant differences. Folks here are giving you good advice. Cut your losses, save some time - source an Interstate harness. They abound.

desertrefugee":z0wf5lx6 said:
The Aspencade has a full digital instrument cluster. Interstate was analog. I had an 84 Aspy. Speed sensor is specific to the Aspy. There are other significant differences. Folks here are giving you good advice. Cut your losses, save some time - source an Interstate harness. They abound.
That’s my thinking as well and while I’ve got a bunch of Aspy parts, I don’t want to convert this one over when that’s not the bike it was supposed to be in the first place.

Back to the question market for a minute -
Would the 84-87 Interstate harnesses be the same? There’s a couple on FleaBay but they’re not for the 1984 so my curiosity is peaked a bit

I doubt it. The 84 was different from all the other 1200s. Different starter, ignition in the back, another subtleties that I can’t even begin to remember. A quick way to tell whether the harness might be compatible would be to look at the various 1200 schematics. I don’t remember, but I believe the 84 had a schematic all to itself. If not and it’s lumped in with the other ones, you could probably get away with a swap. Aspencade to Aspencade though.

Latest posts