1986 GL1200 Water Pump Rebuild by backlander

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bearing sleeves just weren't moving. I used some penetrating oil but perhaps I didn't give it enough time. I'll try to take a picture and post it. Maybe 34 year old water pump was just stuck. That and some good wacks from a hammer on the socket I was using to try to push it out.

okay here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20161016_125316.jpg
    20161016_125316.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 20161016_125438.jpg
    20161016_125438.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20161016_125559.jpg
    20161016_125559.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 252
Looks like it might have been a bad casting or cracked already, the dark area to the right of the vertical crack in image 3-3, notice how the rest of the breaks are shiney new. Was this a Bakelite or metal impeller pump?

You do not have to remove the impeller from the shaft. Here is pic of the instructions I got with my rebuild kit from Germany in regards to the circlips. I originally removed the impeller so I could install that circlip before I learned it was not necessary to do so.

IMG_2065.JPG

Okay thanks, this is my first goldwings and my first bike in a dozen years. I haven't had it on the road yet. It was a project bike from the get go. I'm really hoping to ride it next summer. It started as an interstate but it was dropped by one of the PO so I decided to go the naked gold wing route to make it more of an around town bike. I came across the front end rebuild article and checked out the water pump while getting ready to rebuild my timing belt tensioners and replace the timing belts. Ah one adventure after another. A little trepedatious about rebuilding the carbs down the road but then again what's a journey without the risks. Oh BTW if anyone can offer some insight as to the wiring for the headlight and turn signal conversion from the fairing to naked gold wing I'm all ears! Thanks

Couple of years have gone by, but have a question. Need to address the water pump on my second '85 LTD. Have bookmarked your thread on the rebuild. You mention getting a kit out of Europe. I think this is the same person and his kit is on line - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-Goldwing- ... 1edd4081ca Less expensive than a new pump.

The tutorial on the eBay site looks like your info. Thoughts - yes/no?

Different seller name but appears to be the same otherwise. The company changed name twice when I was ordering from them but they were always honest and followed through. Make sure you order kit for metal or Bakelite impeller, they are different and I personally would not rebuild a Bakelite impeller pump. Also make sure the crush washers for the pump are included in the gasket set along with the oil pump seal. George Fix on eBay is the best for the seal kit, he’s got good parts, is quick and doesn’t rip you on the shipping.

Latest posts