2 regulators overcharging - sensing wire?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trenaud11

Reaction score
Gentlemen, my 1st post here, but have lurked for a few months to some great information. With all the great solutions to various charging issues posted here and elsewhere this issue seems to have a twist.
Here's chain of events, that might be pertinent:
I've had my 'new' 87 Aspencade only for a few weeks but it's been running flawlessly (only 50K). A few weeks back I replaced the side reflectors on the fairing with LED Lights. This required quite a bit of mucking around in the fairing to get to the bolts, wired them to the front markers. Lights looked great, but I didn't ride that week (too hot). The next weekend I also replaced the side pannier reflectors with light conversions. Wired them to the parking circuit. Cooled off inside a bit, went to check them out... not enough battery to start the bike. I figure I left it in 'park'. Okay, jump start time. I hooked up my end and my son hooked up the other end to a car battery... backwards (a mistake he'll not likely repeat).
You can guess it still didn't start. Removed battery for charging, dead cell. New battery time. My assistant, anxious to be of some help, managed to briefly get some sparks between positive and frame with a ratchet, but no apparent harm done. Started right up.
There are 2 inline fuses running between the battery and somewhere, 1 of which was blown. Although that didn't seem to affect anything, I dutifully replaced it (I majored in EE-fuses don't blow unless they do something). Bike ran and looked great.
As it turns out this is part of an Electrical Connections wiring harness mod, properly executed, direct-wiring the stator, with direct lines from the regulator to the battery, both terminals, and also a new lead from Batt+ to the coils. Makes sense.
The next day it died about 20 miles from home, dead battery, charging fuse blown. Nursed it home by repeated jump starts, (my son's getting good at it now), after each start I yanked a fuse from various circuits to use for the charging lead. Went through about 5 all-told.
With the charging fuse out I used a crappy VOM and was getting over 10V across the opening. That's an estimate, the meter has a 10V range and a 500V range (I majored in electronics engineering...who designed that?). Regardless, there's no way a healthy regulator should put out 20+ volts or cook a 15A fuse. I checked the regulator ground and the voltage at the sensing wire connection at the regulator. Declared the regulator dead and replaced it the next weekend.
That worked, fuse good from idle to 3K RPM, bike happy, stator happy, I'm happy.
Until that weekend about 80 miles from home.
Now armed with a decent VOM, a schematic, a 12V relay and various soldering sundries I'm looking forward to another weekend on the hot pavement instead of the cool mountains, BUT FIRST...

I need some local knowledge, the wiring on these bikes looks like the guts of an early 70s color TV. The schematic can only help so much and I'm not familiar with all this spaghetti. Assuming at the moment the regulators didn't fail the same way, if at all, too much coincidence. The stator output looks good. With the regulator grounded directly to the battery any sketchy frame ground is 'probably' not the culprit. With that charging fuse present protecting the regulator I'm thinking my son is off the hook.
That leaves an intermittent issue with the sensing wire that may have well started back when I was mucking about in the fairing a few weeks back. I'll rig up a direct lead to the battery + through a new relay and cross my fingers but before I yank the tank and seat, what is located in the fairing that I could have disturbed that would affect the black/light green wire? Functionally it seems to run from fuse #7 (ign), splits with 1 leg to the fuel pump relay (cause for concern), the other leg splitting again to the regulator as the sensing lead before ending at the start and cruise resume switches. With start pressed it seems to energize the starter relay. Fairly important wire to go flakey.
Does anybody know if I could have started the problem ham-fisting stuff in the fairing? When I replaced the R/R and the charging fuse didn't blow, did putting back all the borrowed fuses pull the voltage down in this wire? Maybe the fuel pump relay is iffy? I'm hoping for an answer like 'you probably sweated all over connector such and such, just clean it off'. Any helpful comments appreciated.

Well I`m good at the 1100`s not so hot on the 12`s but one thing to check is the block connectors, some times the female receptacle gets loose. I use a crimp on spade to check the female to see if any have a loose feel, also this checks to be sure none are pushing out of the block when connected, I usually take a paper clip or small tool and take out each female connector from the block, check and clean them..really many electrical problems are from loose/dirty grounds or bad connections.
Sorry cant help more but many smarter them me here.

welcome to classic....ive been going through the same stuff lately ....the bike im dealing with has shown electric system voo doo from the get go ......the honda stock spaghetti actually can degrade im talking the wire itself ...honda made many connections inside the black wrap wiring harness ......lately i hook up my sense wire from the regulator-rectifier to the positive battery ...ive been on it a short week now so far so good ...battery cook off while on a 1000mile trip really about toasted the battery when sense wire was hook to the ...ignition switch hot wire ...so many connection so much voltage drop battery was under constant charge ...this is not a uncommon problem but most just replace stuff ...but some are so bad theres no way ....the wires themselfs and connectors are basicly shot ....and new part will go out quick ......my wiring i dont even trust to operate a relay right ...the last one was fluttering in and out while in operation...long story short ..most things on my bike are rewired by me and go through no old honda wiring ...so far the starter is still doing good on honda old wiring ....seems like you said you were shunting the ground back to battery ...mines not like that ...just the sense wire is wired direct to battery ....its not relayed or anything so far thats been no problem ......

I can see myself eventually replacing every wire on the bike, but was hoping to avoid doing it all at once. Id think the only reason to run the sense wire through a relay is to prevent a constant battery drain, which wouldn't be much.
I just ran a couple quick tests at lunchtime with a better VOM. Things got interesting:
With the charge fuse unplugged, the regulator was supplying a constant 20.3V potential, regardless of engine speed. Seems regulated to me since the AC out of the stator should be all over the place.
The sense wire to Battery+ voltage drop was basically zero. I unhooked it anyway and hooked the black R/R wire to the battery. I expected no change, and that's what I got.
I put a fuse (20A this time) in the charging line. Battery voltage with the bike off was 11.8V (it had started the bike twice since being charged).
I started the bike and let it idle. The battery voltage went to 12.4 and slowly climbed to 12.8 before I decided that charging was taking place and the voltage reading from the unhooked rectifier was meaningless with no current. I brought the revs up slowly to 4K. By 3K the voltage across the battery had slowly climbed to about 14.5 volts and stayed there, just as advertised! Excellent!
When I got off the throttle the voltage instantly dropped to just over 12. Fuse was blown.

This confirms what seemed to be happening the first time I broke down. A jump start got me going and a fuse kept me going until I backed OFF the throttle. Tried this twice to confirm it. Something is drawing a lot of current through the main 30A fuse on throttle-down. Something under 30A but more than 20A I think. Now I'm stumped!
I'll try pulling all non-essential fuses after work and repeat the test. Meanwhile I'm going to blame that nonsensical 3A line filter so I can focus at work.

Was the charging system working well before the light additions, & was the battery staying charged then? :headscratch:

Hi Denver, yes it's been working perfectly. I bought it (in Denver, actually), drove it home to Phoenix and have taken it all over the 4 corners area. This is new. What I don't know is if the problem started after the lights were added or it's a result of the cross-connected battery.
I've accidentally left it in park before for hours and that's never killed the battery before so I'm kind of hoping I disturbed some flakey connection somewhere, but where to look? I'm amazed at how many circuits travel through the fairing.
Wasn't able to work the problem last night but I'm going to check out one circuit at a time today.
I'm glad that EC harness was installed. If everything still ran through the 30A main fuse I'd never know there was a problem until I smelled it.

Leaving it in park might finish off a weak & or older battery, but that should not hurt the wiring on the bike.

Latest posts