76 driveshaft and U-joint?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offcenter

Reaction score
Sitting on the center stand, my 76 seems to have way to much slop in driveline when I move the rear wheel by hand. I haven't had a chance to get in there and inspect yet, but I have a bad feeling about it.
I've heard that the U-joint is considered non-rebuildable.
True? False?
What about replacements?
Who has 'em? How much do they cost?

I just want to prepare myself, "just in case".
Thanks guys.

What gear are you checking it in?
My 1100 has quite a bit of slop, too, but 99% of it is in the trans gears.....which from a previous discussion about the same issue, was considered "normal". I can move my rear tire prolly 3-4" with it in gear.... :whistling:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121080#p121080:1ig7r4oy said:
AApple » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:17 pm[/url]":1ig7r4oy]
What gear are you checking it in?
My 1100 has quite a bit of slop, too, but 99% of it is in the trans gears.....which from a previous discussion about the same issue, was considered "normal". I can move my rear tire prolly 3-4" with it in gear.... :whistling:
Me too.

1st through 4th gears have quite a bit of intentional slop, that's just how they work. 5th has a bit, but much less than the others. If a u-joint has that much play in it, it would probably come apart.

And, no, the u-joint isn't servicable. Even if you got it apart, Honda never sold the bearings for it. Of course, on this forum, never say never!

Yes it does seem like a lot of slop but each bit with play adds up.
The primary chain alone probably accounts for a good part of that, especially on a 1000 which are notoriously loose.

Latest posts