81 and 82 Speedometer Interchangeble?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmctop

Reaction score
Is the wiring and fitment the same for 81 and 82 Goldwing Interstate speedometers? My 82 has stopped working(except odometer) and I have an 81 that I traded for....will the wiring match up?

Thanks in advance
Ron

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83600#p83600:dng76m6p said:
joedrum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:17 pm[/url]":dng76m6p]yes if your talking just the speedo ...there geared different down at wheel
So, if I put the 81 speedometer on my bike, will the speed register correctly or is it going to be off because of different gearing? I'm just changing the speedometer unit/housing only.

If you can use a GPS to check your speedo. Most normally read slightly higher than actual road speed (about 10%)

I put an 81 on my 82 gl11oo and with my GPS my speed was showing about 4 mph higher on my speedometer then what the GPS was showing.

:shock: :headscratch:
Just how accurate IS a dead nut??
On the '81 speedo, there will prolly only be the two illumination lights in it....no other wiring. MIGHT have some extra wiring for the rear air shock warning system, but if it does, they are all color codes on the connectors, so it should be a plug & play deal. :good:
Later years with the self cancelling turn sigs will have more, of course, but the speedo WILL go in...just pop the two lights out of the old one, and pop them back in the "new" one.
I've changed the speedo in my '81 too many times to remember....some had a handful of wires, some had NONE...just the two back lights.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83733#p83733:27e79wof said:
AApple » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 am[/url]":27e79wof]:shock: :headscratch:
Just how accurate IS a dead nut??
On the '81 speedo, there will prolly only be the two illumination lights in it....no other wiring. MIGHT have some extra wiring for the rear air shock warning system, but if it does, they are all color codes on the connectors, so it should be a plug & play deal. :good:
Later years with the self cancelling turn sigs will have more, of course, but the speedo WILL go in...just pop the two lights out of the old one, and pop them back in the "new" one.
I've changed the speedo in my '81 too many times to remember....some had a handful of wires, some had NONE...just the two back lights.
well, Ihaven't removed the old one yet from the 82, but the new one from the 81 has a bunch of wires.

My 82 has the speed sensor built into it.
That makes the turn signals self cancel.

If yours has the angle sensor on the steering head (rubber grommet on top of the tree nut, under the handlebars will tell you), then you may have self-canceling too. 81 did not, according to the wiring diagrams.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83763#p83763:3ryr5t05 said:
Earl43P » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm[/url]":3ryr5t05]My 82 has the speed sensor built into it.
That makes the turn signals self cancel.

If yours has the angle sensor on the steering head (rubber grommet on top of the tree nut, under the handlebars will tell you), then you may have self-canceling too. 81 did not, according to the wiring diagrams.
Oh MY!! Thats what that thing was!!!! When I restored my '82 way back when, I could not figure out what that was. I had to swap out an '81 gauge cluster and other '81 parts since the '82 stuff was no good. Now I know!! :thanks:

so correct me if I'm wrong here, but the wires coming out of the back of the speedometer (other than the two illumination lights) are only for the self cancelling turn signals??

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83998#p83998:9wr7pzzv said:
usmctop » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm[/url]":9wr7pzzv]so correct me if I'm wrong here, but the wires coming out of the back of the speedometer (other than the two illumination lights) are only for the self cancelling turn signals??

I believe so.
You have to go to an 83 schematic to see the turn cancel wiring, even though it was present and functioning on my 82 Standard.
I had a speedo drive gear strip and while speedo was inoperative, I had no canceling function. Funny how you get spoiled.

speedo_zpsf98724d6.jpg

speedsensor_zps360a61c4.jpg

It's hard enough remembering to cancel them on my CBRs without having an auto cancel feature on a bike. When you are doing it all the time it just becomes second nature. I noticed when I rode the Road King I became complacent and when they didn't work it took me ages to realise! I just need to place as much importance as turning them on as to turning them off. :whip:

I have a big problem turning them off sometimes ....sheesh ...it can be very dangerous in heavy traffic ...just the right time to forget also with all the traffic going on too

When we go for a license test here the examiner tells you that you will fail if you don't turn them off after indicating! That said I still miss it every once in awhile in bright sunlight, so I try to hit the cancel position a couple of times to be sure. :whistling: :doh: