81 gl1100 single carb using the motorcraft/weber 740?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126091#p126091:30ocdtjk said:
Ansimp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 pm[/url]":30ocdtjk]
+1 also nice pics :good:

thanks

Nice work man. I am going to remove my two into one just to give it a shot. I did a horrible job at trying to machine the plate for the adapter, and the wood one developed a leak. My goal is to eliminate those leaks. Either way, I am taking my wood adapter to my machinist buddy, and he is going to make a plate from 1/4 inch thick aluminum, weld on studs for the two into one, and would like to weld the plate to the plenum, but will drill the bolt holes. But that option takes money, of which I have very little at the moment. Anyway, I looked at one of the latest side angle pics and I see you had not put on the adapter yet, so I am going to break out the round rat file and see if I can just bypass the whole affair, if it fails, than I will pull the plenum and take it to chuck to get it done right by someone who can hold a straight line on metallic objects...lol

Oh and I am going to silicone the filter assembly to the plate like I noticed with Dan's setup. But thanks again for the details on jetting and tuning, this thread is highly valuable.

wood will work for many years! you just need to use hard wood, not pine from china or OSB!! it doesn't sweat,conduct heat or cold or any kind of real voltage! i have been using wood carb spacers on my drag cars for over 40 years so i can assure you they work. as usual.. just my opinion :cool:

Yea, I know the stuff I used was crap, I need a good slice of oak or teak. That would do the trick. But I am just going to see what it does without the 2 into 1 setup. Gotta play with it a little if you know what I mean.

The plywood I used was just too porous, and it eventually let air through. I was also told if you line the would on all surfaces with epoxy resin, it will permanently seal the wood and make it petroleum proof.

well i changed my runners.the ones i used($13 a foot) arent meant for fuel.(even though i asked for fuel hose). there commin apart inside. SO, my new runners are 1-1/4ID..1-5/8OD flex pvc. waaaay easier to work with. no vac leaks and my idle is way better.

Attachments

• DSC07264.JPG
    DSC07264.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC07267.JPG
    DSC07267.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC07265.JPG
    DSC07265.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC07266.JPG
    DSC07266.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 218
these are from the last MPG run(40.9). i dont really like the black around the edge.. i was jettin 44.7mpg. current jettin....40 idle jet....175 air bleed....X05 well tube..130 main jet. i think the 130 is a lil to much

Attachments

• DSC07275.JPG
    DSC07275.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 186
55/60. opened it up once. theres a nice route i run tado the MPG tests. its all from 45 ta 60mph. a few hills,nice ride. i go 50mi, turn around and come back

I like those PVC runners. At 1 5/8" OD they fit into the OEM manifolds perfectly. How did you connect them at the VW manifold? Did you buy the flex PVC from Home Depot or Lowes?

Jeez, if you guys think those plugs look rich them mine must be way rich. I think 81gwing's plugs look pretty good.

Brian

Latest posts