81 interstate or standard ?? rescue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i started by snding the face of the letters till they were smooth and level and peeling all the loose paint off the base ( a jewlers flathead screwdriver works great here ) and sanding all areas you are able to to clean and scuff for paint to hold to . next i applied a heavy even coat of primer to help thing look smooth , after this dried i watersanded the face of the letters with 1000 grit and applied the base color ( i used the metallic blue to match the bike ) . let this dry good and i put in a pastic pan and filled with water till just the top of the letters were on the surface ( may need to shim with something to level emblem ) and made sure top surface of letters were dry ( ohh also carefully fill the o ,d , and a with water ) then i sprayed with crome silver a heavy layer holding can at a distance so the paint more fell on then blew on to prevent face from going underwater at any point . let this dry completly and then scrap surface of water to get paint from around the part before pulling out of the water , and little peices should clean up with little problem . finally i sprayed with a good clear coat to seal the embelm .

this is the finished product

Attachments

• P1230008.JPG
    P1230008.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 108
Yep it was LittlebeaverView attachment 2 I did these just after I got my 81 a few years back...View attachment 1 I hand paint the black over the gold on the Honda label and Hand painted the eagle emblem too...Maybe not the best but it's good enough for me.. :music: Hey check out my Ghost Bike in the works...My Honda emblem was about as bad as your's there in the photo probably a little worse, and the Eagle was just aweful..I sanded the best I could and spray the whole thing gold three coats then paint in the colors...a qu-tip with a little paint thinner to dab the color that gets on the gold , you must do it right away while it's still wet.. Patience

Yes it is, you are way better at it than I am for sure, that pin stripe looks awesome...I admired your work before and now I get a treat of watching your progress here, Awesomeness....

i got the side covers off the bike this weekend and noticed a small crack in one so i started sanding them down and found three more cracks . cleaned and sanded everything good and glued all the cracks up . i finally got one primed , water sanded and base coat finished

well i got all my parts in today and started tear down after work till it got dark . got my 416 proressive shocks , progressive fork springs , dunlop rear tire , new pass arm rests and complete engine gasket kit . got everything painted now but saddle bags and trunk but will start on them tomorrow night .

Attachments

• IMG_20120214_174039.jpg
    IMG_20120214_174039.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 130
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43157#p43157:2xqt8jri said:
countryboy843 » January 14th, 2012, 1:21 am[/url]":2xqt8jri]
well its been almost a year now ive owned my wing and ive loved every mile of it and ive donne alot of work on her in the months following till she looked like this
file.php
This is the most BEAUTIFUL wing I've ever seen, Nice color combo

Latest posts