83 Aspy Help needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160678#p160678:13z5iqms said:
roughrider6 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:54 pm[/url]":13z5iqms]
Here's a pic for those that asked. Right after we pulled it out of mothballed shop:

That is a sweet looking GL! :good: :lust: Nice looking original paint and matching helmet too.

Thank you Canuck. You are right. I have always loved this bike. My Dad used to come visit me in Houston from New Mexico on it. He would take me for rides and man, it was an awesome feeling.

Anyway: Update, I finally got it to turn over with the starter switch! Success! For some reason you have to have the clutch pulled in to turn it over even when it's in neutral come to find out. Put some gas in an aux tank and tried to turn it over, no luck. Any tips or tricks about something that may have been disassembled that has to be hooked up for the bike to start? I don't think I disconnected anything that is needed but man I don't know? I don't have any starting fluid to spray (I have to wait till payday to get anything else) but later this afternoon I will be testing it for spark. Any help is always appreciated guys. Really, Thank you. I don't think I could do this without the help from here. The resources and the knowledge ya'll share is special.

Remove the spark plugs and ground them wires on. Spin the motor with starter and check plugs for spark. If there is old gas in the tank hook up another container of gas to feed the fuel pump. If the plugs are sparking put them in and see if she wakes.

Lay the spark plugs on the head or intake tubes while plugged into the wires then crank it with the kill switch to on or run. (center position)

The neutral crank problem is something else to address separately, it won't keep it from starting.

Specifically be sure the metal base of the plugs are in solid contact with bare metal such as a bolt head. Turned so you can see the plug gap to verify spark.