83 GL1100 A rear master cylinder rebuild kit

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGmackie

Reaction score
Has anyone out there in goldwing-land had any kind of luck getting a rear master cylinder rebuild kit for a '83 GL1100 Aspencade with the linked rear brakes? I just got a rebuild kit from Old bike Barn that was supposed to fit, but was too small. This is the second time that I have gotten the wrong sized rebuild kit and it's starting to get frustrating!

Part numbers would be awesome if anyone got 'em.

Thanks in advanced, I know I can count on you guys to come thru for me, riding time is nearly here!

The kit I have is a match to mine, '83 Interstate.

They did list a specific number for the '83 Aspencade and Interstate, same kit.

The kit I have is Honda # 43520-MB9-781

The piston is 32 mm long x 32.8 mm diameter at it's largest point.

Hope this helps.

Due to the relative rarity of this particular model of this bike (83 Gl1100A) and the fact that it is unique in many of it's features I have found it difficult to locate some parts for it. The rear brake mastercylinder rebuild kit has been the hardest for me to get so far.
I tried getting thru Crescent Moon, but they didn't have any in stock and their distributor was out. The local Honda shop wanted an arm and a leg for it, and produced the wrong part twice. Finally after several correspondence with Old Bike Barn about figment of this part for this bike, the part shipped was still incorrect.
I have verified that my rear master is the correct stock one, but since this was only avaliable for 2 years on 2 models the parts seem to be getting harder and harder to locate.

OK I may be late with this info but just in case Flee bay lista a 80-82 Goldwing rear break master cylender kit for $38.00 (9 avaliable) has pix of parts Out of FL. listed untill 3 Apr....I printed the listing ...I may be able to reproduce pix if requested...PSSS... Also founf a listing for a 80-81

I'm not gonna do anything on thE-bay with this because of the often difficult/absent return policy. Plus, I'm reasonably confident that the 80-82 rebuild kit is the one I've already gotten from Old Bike Barn (who is being awesome about the return by the way). I'm looking into other vendors right now. Having the Honda part# helps a ton because I can call around and ask for a specific part# instead of having the parts guy look it up.

OK I am with you However there seams to be an idedtifiable difference in the kits if you have seen both kits, can you verify these documents for me so that I know if the dif between them, for future referance :beg: :beg: :beg: :salute:
80-81 GL 1100 rear Master Cyl kit.jpg
this is a K&L part for 80-81
82-83 GL 1100 rear Master cyl kit.jpg
this is for 82-83 don't know manufactor. Don't have any deminsions..seams to be a dif in the way the piston is made but can't tell if the diameter or length is dif.

The kit that doesn't work on mine looks exactly like the bottom one. The only difference between the right one and the wrong one is the size, the wrong one is too small. I do believe that the kit in the bottom pic would work in the 80-83 standards, but the ones with linked brakes use a slightly larger master cyl.

BIGmackie":7tuu35bf said:
The kit that doesn't work on mine looks exactly like the bottom one. The only difference between the right one and the wrong one is the size, the wrong one is too small. I do believe that the kit in the bottom pic would work in the 80-83 standards, but the ones with linked brakes use a slightly larger master cyl.

Mine are linked (83I) and the kit I posted the model number on is the right one.
I don't think you have anything different, least I've never heard of this problem.

Yeah, I'm going to recant that last statement. I was looking at the pictures on my phone and kinda wasn't paying attention...oops.

I'm not seeing a part number in that second pic though...

I'm just gonna stop saying things until I know what I am talking about...

:smilie_happy: Ya beat me to it, Gary!! I wuz thinkin the same thing!
I know I don't know squat, but that don't keep me from making a fool of meself....how else can I learn? :Egyptian: :mrgreen:

So, because of the low price and Dan saying it would work I actually got a rebuild kit of thE-bay. Just like the one in the second pic. If it works, I'll let you all know. Should be here in a few days, I hope by the weekend.

BIGmackie":lmcrar8z said:
So, because of the low price and Dan saying it would work I actually got a rebuild kit of thE-bay. Just like the one in the second pic. If it works, I'll let you all know. Should be here in a few days, I hope by the weekend.

Oh no! It better damn work!!

ones with linked brakes use a slightly larger master cyl

this makes sense. because the master cylinder would have to move more fluid if operation 2 slaves.(as in the linked break system)
should be the same way for front breaks linked vs. dual caliper. BUT the area of the single piston vs. the dual piston calipers might compensate for this.

please let us know how this works for you... I hope to be rebuilding my rear master soon.

83 GL1100I

jdegase":24bklmd5 said:
please let us know how this works for you...
Damn! Now there's pressure on me to actually do something correctly, which goes against everything that my natural instinct has led me to do on this bike!

So, new master cylinder rebuild kit arrived today and it's a winner! I already installed it and bled the brakes (man I hate bleeding these linked brakes). Everything so far looks good, no leaks. I'm pretty happy!

Latest posts