83 GL1100 Interstate - value ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr_nut74

Reaction score
Just recently ( today) joined this forum because I am strongly considering buying an 83 GL1100 Interstate from a coworker who I know ( and trust) pretty well.

Details of the bike : Has been off the road about 3 years due to a low speed accident in the grass/mud. Some slight cosmetic scratches on the fairing, windshield is broken and handlebars bent. Otherwise, the bike ran and rode fine after the accident. Insurance totalled it out due to age of bike and cost of repair vs. perceived value of the bike. The guy bought it back off of insurance since it wasn't that bad and it has sat because he used the insurance money as a payment towards a newer bike. ( a Harley ).
- he is the original owner of the bike
- only 25K miles on the bike
- new tires on the bike right before the accident
- pictures I have seen of the bike ( after the accident) make it look pretty clean. I have not yet seen it in person, though I will most likely be looking at it soon as I have an idea of what to offer him for the bike if I am interested
- title is SALVAGE

My question is based on what I have stated above about the condition of the bike, etc, what is a fair value for the bike. In casual conversations with him he has stated that if "someone gives me a 1000 bucks" they can have it. I want to know if that is fair for the bike? Too High? - if so what should I offer him once I have looked at it? I know that a Salvage title hurts the value, I just don't know how much.

Looking for some advice from the "experts". Thanks, Brian.

Hmmm.....$1000 for bike that has been sitting for 3 years? Does it run?

If it doesn't start and run, it is currently a damaged parts bike. (Although potentially minor damage. Hard to tell without pictures.)

At a minimum, you are looking at old gas in the tank, gummed up carbs that will need a cleanup and most likely a rebuild, change the timing belts because of age, new battery and any other required repairs not seen without pictures.

Again, without seeing it, it is worth $500 to me as a non-running parts bike that needs repair.

Everything Gerry said and value is affected by how it was stored also.
Low miles is a big plus but if it's been sitting out in the weather you could be taking on quite the project bringing it back to life.
Replace cables, rebuild brakes....even new tires sitting in the sun long enough are trash.
Check over everything carefully.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan to go over it with a fine toothed comb when I look at it. I know that it has been stored inside of his garage, but beyond that I don't know how it was stored. I suspect that it hasn't been messed with too much since he got the Harley !

I too was immediately worried about the old gas and carbs being gummed up. Age of timing belts is another concern that I hadn't thought of?

Rough estimate of cost of timing belts ( parts ....I would plan to do the work myself) ?? Are there other things like water pump or a mechanical seal or stator or ?? That tend to go on these bikes and should be checked?

Anything else to watch for on the Goldwings ( like electrical issues, etc)?

Again, I am pretty skilled mechanically , have owned 6 or seven bikes over the years and have always done my own repairs and maintenance. I just haven't messed with Goldwings much and wasn't sure how " unique" they are compared to other Hondas of similar vintage.

Regards, Brian.

Values differ regionally and seasonally. I recently sold a nice looking solid 82 GL 1100 for $2800.
Under the description you gave along with the unknown's I would value that one at $300 to $500.

The 83 is a great model year,3 years is a gamble for a bike sitting. You might need to pull the carbs, might not,I have heard them sit that long and still be OK, Tank may just need drained and fresh fuel hopefully not rusted out inside, timing belts for sure need new ones just to be safe,
If the original paint looks like it will polish up and the bike will restore might go as high as $800 but why you need to get it as low as possible because there can be problems come up and even if you get it running with minimal money you still have to one day sell it as a salvage and a good looking and running salvage might get up to $2500., If you get it take some photos of it after cleanup so the next buyer can see it wasn't too badly damaged, also any photos the seller may have of it before damage.
If it were me I would like to charge up the battery (2-4 amps , don't jump it with a car battery) then pull the plugs and turn over the motor, look for any coolant spitting from the cylinders...sometimes head gaskets don't fare well sitting with coolant for years but 3 years isn't too bad, don't expect much from a compression test the motors need run after a long storage before they read strong and even.
Good luck.

I just bought an 84 Interstate that had been sitting for 2 years... It was put away with a fuel stabilizer and when I got it home on a trailer,,, the bike had been slight accident but cosmetic damage... I charged the battery and put fresh fuel in it,,, it fired right up... I have a slight oil leak in the valve cover gaskets but it runs great... I would give him $500 for it and explain what you are possibly facing on repair... And welcome to the forum...