'83 interstate wont start periodically

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, any clue why sometimes my bike won't start... it won't even turn over at all.. then all of a sudden after 20 some tries varoom. right over. Prob. is, most of the time it starts right up. But sometimes it doesnt. i think it is a wiring prob. but i don't know how to tell. today, it wouldn't start even after 10 min... but the horn, lights, electiric fuel pump all worked.

any help would be appreciated.

:sensored:

Couple of things to check:

*Is the wire at the starter (and the ground wire) clean and tight?
*The starter relay most likely needs replacing (located on the left side, behind the left battery cover at the back, big red wire) (Test it the good old fashioned way.....when the starter will not move, smack the relay and see if the starter turns :hihihi: )
*The starter button might be dirty and not making good contact
*Battery wire connections clean and tight?
*Last thing, the dog bone fuse (main fuse) may have bad connections. Many of us have removed it and replaced it with a modern blade type fuse. (Also located by the starter relay)

could be hydro locking some causing the starter not to want to go good and then fire up instantly ...better start useing some ATF mix in the gas to clean things up maybe ....just guessing :mrgreen:

Good point Joe.

If you leave the fuel on when parked one or more of the carbs could be filling a cylinder with gas.

Next time it happens pull all the plugs and try cranking. If gas filled it will spray out the plug hole.

dan filipi":39rv3f0f said:
Good point Joe.

If you leave the fuel on when parked one or more of the carbs could be filling a cylinder with gas.

Next time it happens pull all the plugs and try cranking. If gas filled it will spray out the plug hole.

Never thought of that one Joe. I'LL have to remember that. :yes: :yes:

Thanks all, i will look into these ideas. However, i am using ATF mix in gas already.
but Larsons cycle when they did a diagnositic check so i coudl know everything i need to work on this winter... one of the things they wrote was "wiring" so i think i will start with McGovs' list.

thanks again. much appreciated. Was stranded this morning... sucks...

src68 My vote is the starter button. when it dosen't start dose it just go RRRRR and then go dead or dose it not turn over at all. If no turn over at all check wirnig, ground and relay. If it is hyreo-lock due to gas seapage it will usualy go rr-thump. If it is starter button it can be a real nucence and very intermittent and is best to take it apart and clean it with a small wire brush.. but all the advice given is goos and should be done anyway because sooner or later!!!!

my 75 wing was doing that and then finally pushed the starter button and nothing. replaced starter button with one from radio shack. works great and no problems with starting. i don't know if that is your problem but just thought it might help some.

toytender01":1bp7rpq3 said:
src68 My vote is the starter button. when it dosen't start dose it just go RRRRR and then go dead or dose it not turn over at all. If no turn over at all check wirnig, ground and relay. If it is hyreo-lock due to gas seapage it will usualy go rr-thump. If it is starter button it can be a real nucence and very intermittent and is best to take it apart and clean it with a small wire brush.. but all the advice given is goos and should be done anyway because sooner or later!!!!

its nothing.. no noise.. nothing... sounds like people has had probs with starter... will start with that...
will let you know if happens again, after replacing starter button... thx
:thanks:

Latest posts