84 Honda GL1200 Project Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just wanted to say Thank You for all the advise and tips on the wing. Solved the issues and its running great, but its no longer mine. If I get booted (no drama meant by this) cause I bought a 04 Harley Road King today I'll understand. I have learned sooo much about the GL1200's from ya'll and you can bet I'll be passing that knowledge along every chance I get. AS much as I did really like the wing, with the back surgery and all it just needs more TLC than I can give it.

slabghost":2g8ac91g said:
Stick around you may get another wing for the same reason you got the harley.
lol, Oh, I plan on sticking around, I love to look at "projects" in the works and learn as much as I can about all makes of bikes.

Rick all riding is good and you certainly have purchased a nice looking bike. I am interested to hear your feelings on the performance comparisons between the Old wing and the Road King. I purchased the Rats Nest with the hope that it can hold it's own on the road with my brothers 2012 Road King and wanted to spend less than the cost to rent a similar bike for our trip. :beg:

Ansimp":pot6bpw6 said:
Rick all riding is good and you certainly have purchased a nice looking bike. I am interested to hear your feelings on the performance comparisons between the Old wing and the Road King. I purchased the Rats Nest with the hope that it can hold it's own on the road with my brothers 2012 Road King and wanted to spend less than the cost to rent a similar bike for our trip. :beg:
one of the things I liked about the old wing is, you could stretch the gears out and pick up the speed that way. I noticed riding with my brother who has an 05 Harley ultra classic, that he'd already be in 5th gear and I'd be leaving 3rd start to stretching out 4th. My new road king can cruise at 70 - 80 all day no problem, but just due to size and rpm it'll get there a lot quicker. I'd say a finely tuned wing should have no problem getting up to speed or keeping up with Harley's. I'd say its like comparing a Mustang (with extra comfort stuff) to a Cadillac. Wings are the Cadillac's no doubt there. It really all boils down I think to what your really want or prefer, they both have strong and weak points, with my bad back the wing was just too heavy and too tall, Harleys are heavy too, but they are set lower to the ground and are easier to balance. Of course, this is all just my opinion.