84 Honda GL1200 Project Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum51

Reaction score
Well I have my hands full with this one for sure, pictures makes it look a lot better than it really is. When I bought it, it was in very sad shape, not really safe to ride to far. I bought it about 2 months before my back surgery thinking I was going to get in some ride time just in case the surgery went bad and I'd never be able to ride again. Wasn't really looking for a project bike. Well after staring at it for 6 months during my recovery and thinking that I couldn't believe some jerk of a PO let this beautiful motorcycle get into this shape and then let it sit all those years I HAD to do something about that.

When I finally got where I could start on it, the radio, bracket, wiring, speakers are all gone, so for now I used some diamond plate to cover the holes. The lower fairing covers were missing so for now diamond there also, but I did get pouches for and 1800 to cover the diamond plate there. All the guy I got it from had done was replace the fuel pump to get it running again and a oil change/air filter change. I replaced the spark plugs (which were 4 different types).

Once I got a closer look at the bike, I noticed the rear air shocks were blown and the rear tire was slick as a new born's bottom. I've replaced the rear shocks with progressive 412's because the bike doesn't have the on board air compressor and I honestly couldn't afford $400 for new air shocks. I've replaced the rear tire with a shinko 230 touring, same type is going on the front. Had to replace the rear brake caliper and pads. Serviced the final drive, which barely had any fluid left in it. Checked for leaks at the final drive none found.

I think the rear tire pressure is a little off, I am using Dyna Beads in the tires (first time using them). I test rode it for about 15 miles and not sure if its because of new shocks (not bottoming out anymore) and tire, but it felt a little bit squirrely a couple times, nothing bad just a feeling I had. Got it back home and rechecked everything, no leaks and nothing loose or wobbly. Going to put the front tire on hopefully today.

One of the PO's has disconnected the right front brake caliper that works with the rear brakes (its been like that for a long time) because the right front caliper was frozen up. They but the correct plug into the rear master cylinder where the line from the front caliper should be. But now I have to find and replace everything from where the line is plug under the false tank all the way to the caliper and mounting hardware. As a note the rear brakes (after replacing the caliper) work fine. I just would prefer to have it all like it came from the factory.

Attachments

• 84 goldwing gl1200 interstate.jpg
    84 goldwing gl1200 interstate.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 252
  • left side pouch.jpg
    left side pouch.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 255
  • right side pouch.jpg
    right side pouch.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 258
Yes it is amazing what you find when you bring home a new2u bike. Looks like your making good steady progress on her and she will be road worthy by riding season. Good work.

Gees disconnecting one of the brakes, what an idiot.
Guess ya do what ya gotta do but.....

Sounds like its been a long road so far but keep at it, the rewards are well worth the efforts.

hmmm ...well if the other brake on the front is working it sould be okay till you can find the stuff missing ....im actually going to disconnect a front brake too till i can afford to fix it the caliper

Clear up on the brakes, it does have the front brakes working on the left front that work with the front brake handle and now it has good rear brakes. But I do have to find all the part that are missing from the right front brakes to put it back like it should be. It will take time, but I'll "Get-r-Done"

Possum51":36sf0y38 said:
Clear up on the brakes, it does have the front brakes working on the left front that work with the front brake handle and now it has good rear brakes. But I do have to find all the part that are missing from the right front brakes to put it back like it should be. It will take time, but I'll "Get-r-Done"
Good to hear :good:

joedrum":1i6yua18 said:
hmmm ...well if the other brake on the front is working it sould be okay till you can find the stuff missing ....im actually going to disconnect a front brake too till i can afford to fix it the caliper
Like I said, ya do what ya gotta do.
It's just that with the traffic here and all the knucklehead drivers, a biker needs brakes in 100% condition.

Possum51":1e0wrfvb said:
I think the rear tire pressure is a little off, I am using Dyna Beads in the tires (first time using them). I test rode it for about 15 miles and not sure if its because of new shocks (not bottoming out anymore) and tire, but it felt a little bit squirrely a couple times, nothing bad just a feeling I had. Got it back home and rechecked everything, no leaks and nothing loose or wobbly. Going to put the front tire on hopefully today.

A new tire will do that. Need to get some miles on it, and get it scrubbed a little. New tires are also more rounded, so there is a little less tread on the road than a tire with a few miles. Just keep riding it, but be careful for the first few rides, until the "new" wears off. The rubber is a little slick when you first put them on, but it will work itself out.
Still a nice looking ride. :good:

AApple":20xhr8rd said:
Possum51":20xhr8rd said:

A new tire will do that. Need to get some miles on it, and get it scrubbed a little. New tires are also more rounded, so there is a little less tread on the road than a tire with a few miles. Just keep riding it, but be careful for the first few rides, until the "new" wears off. The rubber is a little slick when you first put them on, but it will work itself out.
Still a nice looking ride. :good:
Yeah, I was thinking along those same lines, just made sure all was tight and nothing leaking when I got home. Thanks, I plan on riding the "new" off the tires rear soon. :good: :rocks:

Well the front tire and brakes are done and got it a little test ride. I am now chasing a weird noise I can't quiet pin point. I've checked both tires, nothing rubbing or scrubbing that I can see. It only happens when I go down a hill and right at the bottom almost at the I guess you'd call it "zero gravity" point it will happen for a second and then its gone. The only thing I can come up with so far is its somewhere in the rear, maybe slack in the drive line? not sure yet, but its bugging the crap out of me, I hate little gremlin noises you can't seem to pin point..... :swoon: :Awe:

Can you record the noise and post it? Or be more descriptive. As we can't be there you need to be our eyes ears and sense of touch.

slabghost":33r0b1er said:
Can you record the noise and post it? Or be more descriptive. As we can't be there you need to be our eyes ears and sense of touch.
I really don't have a way to record it. It sounds like play in the driveline, like the weight is causing it to move back and forth for a second, when going down hill and right at the bottom when the weight shifts as you start up the other side of the hill and just for a second. It sounds kind of a quick tire rub/scrub, but I've checked the front and rear tires (both are now brand new) and can't see any marks that its scrubbing.

I'm going to get it back up on the center stand tomorrow and put it in gear and check at the rear tire to see how much play is there (if any) and get a better look at the rear tire and brand new progressive shocks.

joedrum":3bp9hh8q said:
sounds like the dreaded 1200 rear wheel wheel wobble....from cappy wheel design
So are you saying it may be the wheel itself? I put dyna beads in the rear (recommended highly from another wing site) and removed the wheel weights. Could it be a bad wheel design and the fact I didn't balance it, just installed the dyna beads?

its the deal where they mounted the wheel bearing in the cast wheel without suport the 1200 is thw only rear wheel they did that too ...they can get wollowed out in the weaker soft cast ...bad design ...not saying its bad just something to for sure to check with 1200s when you feel something in the rear

joedrum":2ivd34ze said:
its the deal where they mounted the wheel bearing in the cast wheel without suport the 1200 is thw only rear wheel they did that too ...they can get wollowed out in the weaker soft cast ...bad design ...not saying its bad just something to for sure to check with 1200s when you feel something in the rear
Thanks Joe, something I'll look into tomorrow !!!