84 Honda GL1200 Project Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well no wobble, nothing loose. I think it might be in the new rear shocks. The noise only seems to happen when the weight shifts on the bike and the top eye of the new shocks are thinner than the stock air shocks. There is a little bare place on the shaft where the top eye of the shock goes. I didn't have any washers that would fit over the shaft to take up that space, going to get some and place a couple washer on either side of the top shock mounting eye so it stays centered and no chance of it to move any.

Mr. Murphy is enforcing his laws today. I leave my motorcycle at home cause its too cold and snowy, take my truck up to visit my daughter and grandkids and this morning the alternator goes out on the truck. Oh well, just another day in the life of Rick.....lol

joedrum":34kfxa1y said:
its the deal where they mounted the wheel bearing in the cast wheel without suport the 1200 is thw only rear wheel they did that too ...they can get wollowed out in the weaker soft cast ...bad design ...not saying its bad just something to for sure to check with 1200s when you feel something in the rear
Well after taking it out for a short ride this morning the noise was louder, so I came back home and put it up on the center stand and removed saddlebags and rear covers, put it in gear and watched the back tire and sure enough a slight wobble. Found one spot about 3 inches long on the sidewall where its it barely scubbing, so off everything comes again to recheck the wheel.

Well when it rains it pours, the brand new tire is out of round and the rim is spinning true, so going to check the rim closely and just for kicks and giggles replace rear wheel bearings and seals. Already contacted the tire folks about replacing this out of round new tire.

Would be good to know what brand tire that is, though it can happen to the best of them.

Good plan with the bearings, do them while apart. Too damn much work to pull these down on the road.

dan filipi":udrcx5o8 said:
Would be good to know what brand tire that is, though it can happen to the best of them.

Good plan with the bearings, do them while apart. Too damn much work to pull these down on the road.
Oh yeah, this is the second time in a month I've had to tare the rear end apart, not wanting to have to do this again for a long time, so new bearings and seals this time. Oh, the tire is a Shinko 230 tour master 150/90/15. Just put a matching shinko 230 tour master 130/90/16 on the front, no problems with it.

slabghost":2qzhzo1w said:
Is it possible the tire bead isn't fully seated producing the out of round condition?
me and my brother actually checked for this, the bead line is even all the way around on both sides of the tire, so pretty sure that's not the issue.

As stated earlier. Even the best manufacturers produce a bad item now and again. The test will be how they deal with it. Best of luck to you sir.

slabghost":5jgvjm0w said:
As stated earlier. Even the best manufacturers produce a bad item now and again. The test will be how they deal with it. Best of luck to you sir.
Thanks, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the return/warranty issue.

Some good news, Shinko is replacing the tire, they don't want the old tire back (which makes me wonder if they knew there is a problem with at least some of their 230 tourmaster tires) all I have to pay is $19 shipping on the replacement tire. Took everything apart today checked - rechecked - relubed everything. Test drove with saddle bags off, no noise. Put saddlebags back on test drove and the noise is back right when I get to the bottom of a hill and the weight shifts starting up the other side. It did it 2 or 3 times. Got home and looked for something possibly scrubbing the tire, nope nothing. Only thing I can figure at this point is the noise may be coming from the final drive unit gears. Pretty much ready to throw my hands up and park it, sense I'm "retired" can't afford to put it in a shop and at this point I'm at a loss.

take the bags off and put 30-40# in the trunk. See if you got the noise. If not it's the saddle bags. The way they are mounted or something.

slabghost":193mag1j said:
take the bags off and put 30-40# in the trunk. See if you got the noise. If not it's the saddle bags. The way they are mounted or something.
I try this tomorrow, If I go near it again today, it could be dangerous for me and the bike :rant: :whistling: :smilie_happy:

Well, looks like I might have figured it out, I figured I either have to loose weight quick or adjust to a tighter setting on the new progressive shocks, decided adjusting the shocks would be quicker :) and the test ride agreed with me. I will take it out tomorrow for a longer test run, find some rail road tracks and bumpy roads to test it on.