85 Aspencade Heel/Toe Gear Shifter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor

Reaction score
Is it possible to raise the height/level of the Toe shifter of this bike.

I am not sure that the set up I have is OEM an I am pretty sure that the floorboards are not OEM. Occasionally I have a challenge down shifting as I do not feel that I am depressing the shifter far enough to properly engage it.

Just a guess, but the ones I have seen are just a slotted groove on the stock shifter. If you pull that off, you should be able to move the stock shifter up one tooth.

Depends on the brand of shifter, probably. The Markland set-up I have on my 1100 is not just a slotted arm that fits over the factory shifter arm. It has a rod with clevises on both ends that are adjustable, but the clevises on mine are frozen/stuck. I have had to remove the shifter arm from the engine to move it up/down to get mine just right, but if the clevises were free to turn, it would simply be a matter of adjusting those. I MAY have a pic or two of mine....gotta look.

I just picked up my 86 aspy a couple of weeks ago and it has h/t and floor boards, has anyone kept the stock shifter and added floor boards? I hate the h/t shifter and would like to change it but keep the after market floor boards.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84554#p84554:2yc6hx65 said:
kentech1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 am[/url]":2yc6hx65]I was wondering if anyone is running stock shifter with floorboards.
I could be wrong but I think you can't get a foot under the shifter when boards are on, and the shifter cannot be adjusted up because it will hit the head.
Can anyone back this up?

I could not get my foot under a regular shifter when I had floor boards. Also, my H/T shifter would make real clunky shifting and my boards scraped all the time. I pulled them and went back to OEM shifter which was much smoother.

When I got my floor boards, there was no h/t shifter bracket to attach the shifter to, so I had to make my own out of some scrap metal. While I was making it, I moved the attach point a little higher, which allows for easier shifting for my big feet. I found the best position by using a piece of plywood first and kept moving the hole by drilling holes and re-mounting the shifter until I found what worked best and then used that piece of plywood as a template.

I was afraid stock shifter would not work! There is a miss shift now and then! Maybe I couls cut of the rear part of the h/t and raise the tow part! It is on an adjustable rod. What you think? :thanks:

Last year just before going to the 1200 meet I threw a set of floorboards on with a stock shifter (I don't like how the heel toe shifters move the shift point back 4 inches) they were ok on the highway butin the city ........ Dumbest thing I ever did - spent the whole weekend shifting with my big toe (when I could reach it) got home and took the floor boards off and Kuryakyn pegs on ..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78250#p78250:2ogqhu0g said:
Steve83 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 pm[/url]":2ogqhu0g]
I don't think Honda made a heel-toe shifter for these, they are all aftermarket. Post some pics and we might be able to figure out any adjustments on it.

No Honda did not make a heel to toe shifter. I had the same problem and found the solution was to put a washer between the shifter and the mounting bracket, at the shifter mounting bolt. That washer kept the shifter from moving to the left when down shifting to first gear. The fork at the front of the shifter tend to ride onto the toe shifter at the bend, and will not rotate over the toe shifter bar. I did it and not the heel-toe shifter just clicks from gear to gear, both up and down. Hope this helps you.

Silver Fox (Ted)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84563#p84563:32gg2e6x said:
dan filipi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 am[/url]":32gg2e6x]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84554#p84554:32gg2e6x said:
kentech1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 am[/url]":32gg2e6x]I was wondering if anyone is running stock shifter with floorboards.
I could be wrong but I think you can't get a foot under the shifter when boards are on, and the shifter cannot be adjusted up because it will hit the head.
Can anyone back this up?

Hi Guys
I have been gone awhile but back again
I have a 1200 now and did this raised the shifter as the heel toe shifter sucks IMO.

I just put a bolt where the heel / toe unit mounted and rest my heel on it when shifting lots. I Raised the stock shifter as much as I could without hitting the head and this way works well for me.

I do have a valve cover gasket leaking and I know this because shifting this way the toe of my boot always has a little wee bit of oil on it LOL :doh: :doh:

Tom

My h/t shifter lost the pivot bolt on my 1100... so for about 7 months I have been shifting using the shifter with the floor boards... became natural to shift like this...daily rider to work and back through town..many stop lights.... no issues of missed shifts.... was kinda close to the head though... size 9 wearing shoes not boots.... working on replacing the bolt with a suitable substitute..

Hi, I'm new here, so take my comment as from someone who may not know....

The '85 Aspy I just bought has floorboards and H/T shifter. I found it a little awkward on the up shifts if I kept my foot on the shifter. As I'm an experienced mountain road rider, shifting is of paramount importance. Here's what I do as a technique..only ridden this bike for 300 miles now, so maybe I'll find a better way. Right now this works and feels pretty natural.

I downshift by putting my foot totally on the H/T shifter. But I up shift by keeping my toe on the floor board and using my heel only on the rear shifter pad. After a couple of hours, I didn't even think about it anymore and the shifts are pretty smooth and I don't miss the up shift at all.

And yes, the floor boards scrape on the tighties, but their purpose is to throw sparks anyway!

Cheers, Scot

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84725#p84725:ey5gm9a3 said:
kentech1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 am[/url]":ey5gm9a3]
I was wondering about using a toe shifter fron another bike that might have the right curve, length and spline!
dunno but easy enuff to mod an original to suit

Not sure what the beef is on the H/T shifter, but after a few side-of-the-road stops for slight "adjustments" mine was fine for several thousand miles. Once I get the 'wing back on the road, I'll see if it holds up, but the main pivot needed to be bushed and spaced appropriately, as I recall. I think that's the ticket.

2011-10-24_17-13-40_392_zpsac7ad307.jpg

Latest posts