85 LTD - charging issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roondog

Reaction score
I have an 85LTD. Was thinking of doing the alternator/stator conversion (poor boy). About what is the cost from start to finish. I understand it is labor intensive.

Not what you asked for, but i just changed the stator on my 84 with a stator from a 78 1000 motor, and total cost was about $150.00 in gaskets and o-rings. Total labor time... 8 hours. It wasn't 1/2 as hard as all the horror stories.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109791#p109791:24u0928n said:
roondog » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 pm[/url]":24u0928n]
I have an 85LTD. Was thinking of doing the alternator/stator conversion (poor boy). About what is the cost from start to finish. I understand it is labor intensive.
It depends on the alternator you choose and if it's new or used and your fabrication abilities. Around $300 is my best guess.

I will have to study this more. If I remember right, there is a whole procedure somewhere in these links and posts. Mistshibisi alternator? Is the whole affair hidden from view? Is there any problem with exposure to the elements? It would be good to work along side with someone who has done it before, especially on an 85LTD. There might be some subtle differences with that beast. So, if I understand this correctly, the conversion takes the place of the stator to charge the sysytem and provide power to all the goodies, and the original stator just stays in place with all the connections taken away from it?

I just got this oldie goldie yesterday. Could be loose wires for all I know. Running around 2700 rpm's I get 13.1 accross the battery. Just had installed the new battery when the po dropped it off. Put electrolite, installed and she started right up. It is a NAPA GS 50-N18l-A3 and after shut down, she read 12.1 across the post. Now I have a 1.5 Amp SEM 156 2A auto speed charge maintainer directly on the battery post and it is in charge mode. The bike was starting with another new battery until it was placed at a local dealer on consignment. When the guy picked it up to bring to me, the battery was completely dead. Probably a draw somewhere, lots of lights and possible misconnections? They all work.
I realize that doing the conversion is probably the best thing for the bike, but sometimes not neccessary. Could be something simple? HA! Maybe not.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3431.JPG
    IMG_3431.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 183
not real sure what the owner up in maryland did to this thing. I may have to give him a call since I have the info.The guy I bought it from purchased it last October for 3300. When I took a closer look at it yesterday, I relayed what info I had n the low voltage problems and possible solutions and he stated he might as well part it out. Long story short, I bought it for 1200. Fitting for an 85. Now if it is something simple, I may make up the difference to him of his bottom line of 2 grand he was asking.

well firs a stator test to see if stator is putting out ... if stetor ck out good ... then its a whole ball game finding the trouble .. it can be connections inside the wiring harness it happens ...I has happen to me ... it even messed with the stator checking cause it made that leg that goes to the voltage regulator rectifier on the 77 ... read up and down .. making the stator check fool me into thinking it was bad and it wasn't ... that darn connection Honda hid under that black wrap on harness ... I wanted to just wanted beat up something big time all the work that connection cause me sheesh ... I needed a lot of support from the members here getting through it :doh: :rant: :hihihi:

the people here are great, no doubt! The 85LTD is a different animal but some things are the same as the other 1200's Not real sure how ro check the stator.

Of course it would be wonderful if I can find a top notch mechanic around Wake Forest/Raleigh area. North Carolina. Someone who knows the ins and outs of these beasts would certainly save me alot of time. Well, more money out of pocket too. Hmmm.......

ok there is tech videos on the forum here ...hmmmm video tech and formum reference at top of page left under me icon trying to type and spell ... LOL...a couple good vids there on stator checking if you have a voltage meter deal

You will never regret putting an external alternator on a GL1200 (unless it's naked, of course). I did mine, roasted the motor, picked up a "new" motor with a good stator - BUT KEPT THE EXTERNAL ALTERNATOR IN PLACE.

The peace of mind was WELL worth the effort. I didn't want to lose that. My Poorboy conversion cost nearly $400. I used a new alternator for a Geo Metro. I got it done in about a week - evenings and a marathon Saturday. Probably 8 hours total. I detailed that conversion on a thread on GL1200Goldwings.com. It's still there, but the online pics were lost during their re-org.